While the Giants had the night off, their minor league teams were in action on Thursday night.
Sacramento River Cats
- The River Cats got a 2-1 win over the Fresno Grizzlies and took the three-game series two games to one.
- Pitcher Ty Blach was stellar once again as he pitched eight innings of one-run ball.
- Blach (9-5) has now won his last three starts (three earned runs combined) and has a 1.13 ERA in those games.
- Ali Castillo's bat has continued to sizzle for Sacramento as he recorded his sixth multi-hit game (in eight opportunities) and he now has a .500 batting average.
- Travis Ishikawa had a two-run double in the bottom of the first inning.
- Jean Machi pitched one inning and earned his third save of the season.
Richmond Flying Squirrels
- The Flying Squirrels headed to the bottom of the ninth inning in a 5-5 battle with the Reading Fightin Phils before walking off.
- Pinch hitter Christian Arroyo singled to lead off the bottom of the ninth, C.J Hinojosa singled him to third and Chris Shaw was the hero with a single to give the Squirrels a 6-5 win.
- Preston Claiborne blew a save in the ninth inning before being bailed out and recording a win, his first of the season.
- Eight Squirrels had hits as the team had 11 total.
- Chris Shaw is batting .344 so far in July and .333 overall on the year, according to the team's website.
San Jose Giants
- The Giants were shut out by the Modesto Nuts 6-0.
- Jason Forjet pitched seven innings and allowed four runs.
- Catcher Rene Melendez went 2 for 3 for the Giants.
- Melendez was the lone Giant with multiple hits.
- The Giants were 1 for 6 with runners in scoring position.
- Center fielder Ronnie Jebavy led off and went 1 for 4 in the loss. With the third inning single, he stretched his hitting streak to nine games.
- Catcher/third baseman Miguel Gomez went 3 for 4 for the GreenJackets in a 3-2 victory. Gomez is batting .465 in his last 10 games according to the team's website.
- Catcher Matt Pare had a pair of Augusta's eight hits (one a home run) and had two RBI
- Domenic Mezza pitched 7 2/3 innings allowing two runs (both in the first inning) and striking out 11 but didn't earn a win.
- Ryan Halstead pitched 1/3 of an inning to get the victory.
- The Volcanoes Thursday game against the Vancouver Canadians was postponed due to rain.
- The game will be made up tomorrow as part of a doubleheader.