- The Blue Jays beat the Orioles 5-2 in 11 innings in the American League Wildcard game on Tuesday night. With the win the Blue Jays are set to play Texas where they will open their series in Arlington on Thursday. The game was well played and was tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 11th frame before Ubaldo Jimenez was summoned from the bullpen with one out. In the span of five pitches he allowed two sharp singles to left field and then a walk off game winning three-run home run to Edwin Encarnacion.
- When Danny Salazar went down with a right forearm strain, it was reported that the soonest he would be ready to pitch would be the American League Division Series. It was expected that he would pitch out of the bullpen. Things have changed as the righty has been sent to Goodyear, AZ to continue his rehab instead of being added to the ALDS roster. If the Indians are able to get past the Red Sox the hope is that Salazar will be ready for the ALCS. The goal right now is to have him build up his arm strength.
- The St. Louis Cardinals have some decisions to make in the offseason. They are weighing whether or not to pick up Jaime Garcia’s $12MM club option over the offseason and are also reportedly interested in exploring an extension with Carlos Martinez per Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Garcia did not pitch well in the regular season as he racked up a 4.67 ERA across 171.2 innings of work in 2016 while Martinez put up a 3.04 ERA over 195.1 innings.
- The Kansas City Royals are apparently not destined to be big spenders in the offseason per Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star. The Royals were big players in the free agent market fresh off their 2015 World Series Championship but because they were unable to replicate their success in 2016, they appear to be leaning on being more conservative when it comes to spending in 2017.
- The New York Mets are sending prospect Tim Tebow to participate in the Arizona Fall League per a team announcement. The former NFL Quarterback signed a minor league contract on September 8 with the Mets and apparently has impressed enough that the Mets want him to go to Arizona to continue to sharpen his skills and perhaps be a valuable prospect for them in the near future.
- New York Yankees catcher Brian McCann has reportedly expressed a desire to remain with the Yankees in 2017 per Chad Jennings of Lohud Yankees Blog. The veteran backstop lost his starting job to rookie phenom Gary Sanchez at the end of the season and does not appear likely to see the bulk of his playing time behind the plate for the Yankees in 2017 but still wants to remain with the club as they begin a youth movement by plunging into their suddenly deep farm system.
- The Detroit Tigers are bringing back Brad Ausmus as their manager for 2017 as they are picking up his club option per Chris McCosky of the Detroit News. The Tigers had an up-and-down season and it seemed Ausmus was on the hot seat for most of the year but the Tigers did play well down the stretch and despite falling short of the postseason, the front office clearly believes that Ausmus is the right guy to head the ship and get the team back into the playoffs in 2017.null