· Wednesday is a day that Detroit Tigers fans would love to forget. Boston Red Sox ace Rick Porcello won the Cy Young for the AL and Washington Nationals righty Max Scherzer won it for the NL. What do they both have in common? They were part of a good Tigers rotation with Justin Verlander for five seasons. This makes the second time in four seasons that Scherzer was picked as the Cy Young winner as he won it in 2013 with the Tigers. In 34 starts, Scherzer went 20-7 with a 2.96 ERA, and a MLB leading 284 K. While he was the unanimous winner in the NL, it was different in the AL. Porcello won over Verlander in one of the closest votes since 1970 with Porcello getting 137 points and Verlander 132 points. Verlander won in the first place votes 14-8, but Porcello won based on his second place votes which he won 18-2. Porcello went 22-4 with a 3.15 ERA and 189 K in 33 games.
· Corey Kluber finished third in the Cy Young voting this season. He finished with 98 points.
News and Notes
· Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Houston Astros have signed righty Charlie Morton to a two-year deal. He will receive $14MM guaranteed.
· Righty Cory Rasmus and outfielder Shane Robinson have elected free agency from the Los Angeles Angels.
· According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the New York Yankees and Pittsburgh Pirates have shown interest in free agent lefty Derek Holland.
· Jon Heyman of FanRag reports that lefty John Danks hopes to pitch again next season. He was released by the Chicago White Sox in May of last season.
· According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler will not waive his no-trade clause unless the team signs him to a new contract.. The Los Angeles Dodgers have shown interest.
· Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has four teams that are intersted in him. Those teams are currently unknown.
· Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Atlanta Braves have inquired about young, controllable arms within different organziations including Chris Sale of the Chicago White Sox.
· According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Former MLB infielder Alex Cora will fill the vacant bench coach position of the Houston Astros.
· The Colorado Rockies have hired former MLB catcher Mike Redmond as the new bench coach.null