Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians players throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Caribbean Leagues and Arizona Fall League. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Note: The Indians do not currently have any minor leaguers in the Mexican Pacific League, and no current farmhands participated in the Puerto Rican League on Thursday.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Abraham Almonte (Toros del Este, DH): 2-4, 2 2B, 3 RBI – Almonte carries his team with a huge night at the plate. Both of his hits were extra-base and tripled his extra-base total in 10 games this offseason. He drove in three of his team’s five runs, driving his RBI total up to six in 43 at-bats with the Toros del Este.
- Jordan Smith (Toros del Este, RF): 0-3, 2 BB, Outfield assist – Smith was hitless on the night but found other ways to make his mark on the game. He still walked twice and threw out a runner at home to end the sixth inning. In five offseason games, Smith is hitting .188 (3-for-16) with two RBI and a .381 OBP.
- Erik Gonzalez (Leones del Escogido, SS): 2-3 – Gonzalez now has two two-hit games in six offseason contests and is hitting .350 (7-for-20) overall. He only has one hitless game this far but has walked just once to six strikeouts.
- Ronny Rodriguez (Aguilas Cibaenas, 1B): 1-4, K, E – Although Rodriguez’s first-inning single ended a two-game hitless streak, the infielder has now hit in eight of his last 10 games. In that stretch, he is hitting .429 (15-for-35) and is batting .336 in 32 games this offseason with 12 RBI and a .376 OBP.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Giovanny Urshela (Aguilas del Zulia, 3B): 1-4, 2 R, BB – Urshela is hitting .344 (52-for-151) in 38 games this offsesason, but he drew just his fourth walk on Wednesday. He’s struck out just 15 times, so the four walks don’t look as bad, but it’s still a concern when you’ve already got 150+ plate appearances under your belt.
- Yandy Diaz (Leones del Caracas, LF): 1-4, R, RBI, BB – Diaz now has hits in nine of his last 10 games and is hitting .358 (38-for-106) in 27 Venezuelan Winter League games this offseason. The third baseman/outfielder has 13 RBI with 12 walks and 20 strikeouts.
- Jesus Aguilar (Leones del Caracas, 1B): 0-3, 3 K, HBP – It was an ugly night at the plate for Aguilar, who struck out in three plate appearances and was beaned in the other. Luckily, this was the first multi-strikeout game for the slugger in nine games, and he hasn’t been bad with K’s this offseason, striking out just 17 times in 25 games (84 at-bats) to go along with 14 walks.
- Guillermo Quiroz (Tigres de Aragua, PH): 0-1 – Quiroz lined out to second in his only plate appearance, ending the game. The veteran backstop is now hitting .152 (5-for-33) in 13 games with the Tigres de Aragua this offseason with two RBI, three walks and 10 strikeouts.
- Randy Valladares: (Bravos de Margarita, RP): 0.1, Perfect – Valladares got his only hitter to fly out to end the top of the sixth. The left-hander has appeared in eight games this offseason but has only amassed three innings. He’s walked two and struck out three thus far.
You can follow Indians Baseball Insider (@IndiansOnScout) on Twitter