· The New York Yankees made their first big signing of the offseason reuniting with closer Aroldis Chapman on a five-year, $86MM deal. The deal is the largest contract ever given to a relief pitcher. Mark Melancon had the previous record after signing with the San Francisco Giants a few days ago. His deal was for four-year, $62MM. New York was also after free agent closer Kenley Jansen, but their top priority was signing Chapman. His deal also includes a no-trade clause for the first three years and a limited no-trade clause for his final two seasons.
· The Chicago White Sox might have potentially made one of the most one-sided trades of the offseason. The White Sox traded outfielder Adam Eaton to the Washington Nationals in exchange for Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and Dane Dunning. Giolito is the number 3 overall prospect in MLB. The Nationals are trying to capitalize on their championship window--especially with the uncertainty of Bryce Harper long-term. It was a steep price to pay, but Nationals GM Mike Rizzo loves the deal. “We feel comfortable with the deal. We got ourselves a good, young skillful player that we can control at below market values for five seasons.”
News and Notes
· According to Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times, free agent third baseman Justin Turner is “still the favorite” to return to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers have also shown interest in Chicago White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier.
· According to Janie McCauley of the Associated Press, the San Francisco Giants have finalized a minor league contract with righty Bryan Morris.
· Jon Heyman of FanRag reports that the Baltimore Orioles have interest in power-hitting first baseman/DH Chris Carter.
· Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Washington Nationals are not interested in anymore starting pitching after missing out on lefty Chris Sale.
· Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that the Seattle Mariners are taking offers for outfielder Seth Smith.
· According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Miami Marlins have signed lefty Jeff Locke one-year deal. He will make $3MM.
· Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports the Colorado Rockies have signed free agent infielder/outfielder Ian Desmond. The deal is for five-years, $70MM. If he is traded, he will receive a $1MM bonus and will have full no-trade protection from that point forward.
· According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Kansas City Royals have traded closer Wade Davis to the Chicago Cubs in exchange for infielder Jorge Soler.
· According to Jon Heyman of FanRag, the Miami Marlins have re-signed righty Dustin McGowan to a one-year deal. Terms are currently unknown.
· Chris Cotillo of SB Nation reports that the Arizona Diamondbacks have signed closer Fernando Rodney. The deal is for one-year, $5MM.
· Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the Tampa Bay Rays and Washington Nationals have been in talks about a possible trade for closer Alex Colome.
· According to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca, the Toronto Blue Jays have signed lefty Brett Oberholtzer to a minor league deal.
· According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Miami Marlins have signed catcher A.J. Ellis to a one-year, $2.5MM deal.
· Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that the San Francisco Giants have traded righty Chris Heston to the Seattle Mariners for a PTBNL.
· Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Colorado Rockies are still interested in signing first baseman/outfielder Mark Trumbo.
· According to Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle, the Houston Astros did have talks with the Chicago White Sox on Jose Quintana, but the asking price was too high.
· According to Jon Heyman of FanRag, the Pittsburgh Pirates almost traded Andrew McCutchen to the Washington Nationals for the same package the Chicago White Sox received for Adam Eaton. However, the Pirates plan on keeping McCutchen after failing to find a reasonable trade.
· The Seattle Mariners have DFA’d infielder/outfielder Richie Shaffer. The move clears space for newly acquired righty Chris Heston.
· Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Miami Marlins have offered closer Kenley Jansen a five-year, $80MM deal.
· The Texas Rangers and Pittsburgh Pirates have shown interest in free agent righty Tyson Ross.