Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians players throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Caribbean Leagues and Arizona Fall League. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Note: The Indians do not currently have any minor leaguers in the Mexican Pacific League, and no current farmhands participated in the Puerto Rican League on Thursday.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Ronny Rodriguez (Aguilas Cibaenas, 1B): 2-4, K – The second baseman put up his fifth multi-hit game in his last 10 contests. He’s hitting .353 (12-for-34) in that stretch and .336 (39-for-116) in 32 games overall with the Aguilas Cibaenas.
- Erik Gonzalez (Leones del Escogido, 3B): 0-4 – Gonzalez had just his second hitless game out of seven games in the Dominican Winter League this offseason. The infielder is now hitting .292 (7-for-24) with two RBI and a .346 OBP.
- Jordan Smith (Toros del Este, RF): 0-4, 3 K – It was a rough night at the dish for Smith, who has now struck out five times in his seven at-bats covering two games. He’s collected three hits in 20 at-bats this offseason, has two RBI and has walked three times.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Giovanny Urshela (Aguilas del Zulia, 3B): 1-4, R, RBI, BB, K – Urshela now has collected a hit in eight of his last 10 games and is hitting .316 in that stretch. Although Urshela’s low walk rate (just five free passes now through 39 games and 155 at-bats) have been well documented in this column, he’s drawn two in his last two games.
- Jesus Aguilar (Leones del Caracas, 1B): 2-4, R, 2 K – Aguilar has been hitting well this offseason (.284 in 26 games), but he has now struck out five times in his last two games (seven at-bats). Luckily, K’s haven’t been too much of an issue for the slugger this offseason as he has only fanned 19 times in 88 at-bats and has 14 walks.
- Yandy Diaz (Leones del Caracas, LF): 1-2, BB, K – Diaz still has just one hitless game in his last 10 games. On the season, the 25-year-old is hitting .357 (40-for-112) in 29 games this offseason with 14 RBI, 14 walks and 21 strikeouts.
- Yhoxian Medina (Leones del Caracas, 3B): 0-1 – Medina pinch-hit for Henry Alejandro Rodriguez in the eighth inning and flew out to left field. Over his last 10 games, Medina has only registered five at-bats and has seen just 25 at-bats in 21 games this offseason.
- Randy Valladares (Bravos de Margarita, RP): 0.2 IP, Perfect, 0 K – Valladares did his job again on Thursday, shutting down the two hitters that he faced. The left-hander has only allowed one earned run over his last 10 games pitched, but he’s only amassed 3.2 innings over that stretch.
- Guillermo Quiroz (Tigres de Aragua, C): 1-4, R, BB, 3 K – The veteran backstop has now registered two three-strikeout games in his last four contests. He’s struck out 13 times in his 37 at-bats this offseason and is hitting .162 (six hits) in 14 games.
You can follow Indians Baseball Insider (@IndiansOnScout) on Twitter