Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians players throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Caribbean Leagues and Arizona Fall League. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Note: The Indians do not currently have any minor leaguers in the Mexican Pacific League, and the Puerto Rican League was off on Sunday.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Erik Gonzalez (Leones del Escogido, SS-3B): 2-3, 2 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI – Gonzalez’s three-run home run in the eighth inning was a big one. Not only was it his first homer of the offseason, but with his team down 3-2 in the late innings, it was the game winner. The infielder is now hitting .323 in nine offseason games.
- Abraham Almonte (Toros del Este, DH): 1-4, R, 2B, RBI – Almonte has been hitting the ball well in the Dominican Winter League this offseason as he is now batting .362 (17-for-47) with seven RBI in 11 games. He’s only struck out five times and has three walks.
- Jordan Smith (Toros del Este, RF): 1-3, K, HBP – Smith now has just four hits in 23 at-bats this offseason and ended a two-game hitless streak on Sunday. He’s collected two RBI, struck out eight times, walked three times and stolen two bases.
- Ronny Rodriguez (Aguilas Cibaenas, PH-2B): 0-2 – Despite going hitless in his two at-bats on Saturday, Rodriguez is still hitting .394 in his last 10 games and .336 in 34 games overall. He’s added three home runs, 12 RBI, seven walks and 24 strikeouts.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Jesus Aguilar (Leones del Caracas, 1B): 2-4, R, K – Aguilar now has five hits in his last three games covering his last 12 at-bats. He’s driven in one, walked once and struck out three times during that stretch. For the year, he’s hitting .292 in 28 games with the Leones del Caracas.
You can follow Indians Baseball Insider (@IndiansOnScout) on Twitter