Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians players throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Caribbean Leagues and Arizona Fall League. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Note: The Indians do not currently have any minor leaguers in the Mexican Pacific League, and the Puerto Rican League was off on Sunday.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Michael Martinez (Estrellas Orientales, 2B): 0-3, SAC – Martinez has struggled this offseason, hitting just .188 (6-for-32) in nine games. He’s scored five runs, homered once and driven in three, and although he’s only struck out five time, he has also walked just once.
- Abraham Almonte (Toros del Este, CF): 2-5, R, K – Almonte has been hot as of late, collecting 17 hits in his last 10 games. He’s driven in seven over that span and has scored eight runs, and he’s got more walks (five) than strikeouts (four) in that stretch as well.
- Erik Gonzalez (Leones del Escogido, 3B-SS): 1-3, R, 3B, BB – Gonzalez has been consistent all offseason and recorded his fourth extra-base hit in his 13th game on Wednesday. He is now hitting .277 with seven RBI, but he’s only walked once to nine strikeouts.
- Ronny Rodriguez (Aguilas Cibaenas, 1B): 1-3, RBI, SF – Rodriguez, like Gonzalez, has been consistent all offseason. He is still hitting well over .300 at .338 through 37 games and 133 at-bats, and has scored 22 runs and has driven in 12.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Giovanny Urshela (Aguilas del Zulia, 3B): 1-4, RBI – Urshela has been a great run producer in Venezuela, driving in 33 runs in 42 games with the Aguilas del Zulia. His average now sits at .339 through 165 at-bats, but he’s still only walked five times. He’s only struck out 16 times, though, so the walk look doesn’t look as bad as it could.
- Randy Valladares (Bravos de Margarita, RP): 0.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R/ER, WP – Valladares didn’t have the best outing of his career on Wednesday. He hadn’t given up more than one hit in any of his outings this offseason and has now allowed two earned runs in 10 appearances total (four innings).
PUERTO RICAN LEAGUE
- Alexis Pantoja (Tiburones de Aguadilla, SS): 2-4, CS, PO, E – Following a stretch of four hitless games (eight at-bats), Pantoja has now collected three hits in his last two games (eight at-bats). He is hitting .280 this offseason with three RBI, but like many other Indians minor leaguers in offseason leagues, he is struggling with his K:BB ratio (9:1).
You can follow Indians Baseball Insider (@IndiansOnScout) on Twitter