Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians players throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Caribbean Leagues and Arizona Fall League. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Note: The Indians do not currently have any minor leaguers in the Mexican Pacific League.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Yandy Diaz (Leones del Caracas, CF): 2-4, K – Diaz and organization-mate Jesus Aguilar were the only two hitters for the Leones del Caracas to record multi-hit games on Wednesday. The team only had six hits overall, and Diaz’s two singles pushed his season average to .371 in 40 games.
- Jesus Aguilar (Leones del Caracas, 1B): 2-4, 2B – Aguilar is now hitting .314 average through 42 games, but perhaps the most impressive part of Aguilar’s offseason has been his 27 walks and 27 strikeouts. Only having 27 K’s through 140 at-bats with the same number of walks is a great sign for someone who usually struggles with strikeouts.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
- Erik Gonzalez (Leones del Escogido, SS): 1-4, R, 2B, BB - Gonzalez walked just once in his first 12 games of the offseason, but he has drawn six free passes in his last 10 games. He ended the Dominican Winter League regular season with a .273 average, three home runs, 12 RBI, six walks and 17 strikeouts.
- Ronny Rodriguez (Aguilas Cibaenas, RF): 1-4, R, 2B - Rodriguez has been consistent all offseason. In the Dominican Winter League regular season, he hit three homers and had 12 RBI through 44 games, and 33 strikeouts through 160 at-bats wasn't a bad mark either. He only walked 14 times, but seven of them came in his last nine games (he also had seven over his first 36 games).
PUERTO RICAN LEAGUE
- Alexis Pantoja (Tiburones de Aguadilla, SS): 0-2 – Pantoja has registered back-to-back hitless games after collecting 10 hits over his previous five games (18 at-bats). For the season, he’s hitting .325 in 29 games with six RBI and 12 strikeouts over 83 at-bats. He has walked just once, though, which is a major concern.
- Gian Paul Gonzalez (Gigantes de Carolina, C): 0-3, BB, 2 K – This was Gonzalez’s first game action since Nov. 27. It was just his second game this offseason with more than one at-bat, and he’s played in six games overall. He still doesn’t have a hit in nine at-bats and has recorded two walks and two strikeouts.
You can follow Indians Baseball Insider (@IndiansOnScout) on Twitter