· Just when Tribe fans were trying to put together lineups with a potential acquisition of Jose Bautista, it appears he is on the way back to the Toronto Blue Jays. According to numerous sources, the free agent outfielder and his agent are in the process of finalizing contract details, and preparing for a physical. In the past few months, there was speculation that Toronto and Bautista were far off on terms of a new agreement. He was looking at other potential destinations, but nothing came from it. The Indians kept in contact with him, but that was all. The Blue Jays have a lot of money to spend with a payroll expected to be in the $160MM range next season.
News and Notes
· According to Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, Korean third baseman Jae-gyun Hwang is interested in joining an MLB team rather than going back to the KBO. Hwang is said to even take a significant pay cut to join a club. He has interest from the Giants, Tigers and Brewers.
· According to Jim Bowden on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM, free agent slugger Chris Carter has interest from the Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles.
· According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the Philadelphia Phillies have shown interest in New York Mets outfielder Jay Bruce, however the Mets want two prospects in exchange for him. Instead, they might consider signing Brandon Moss or Michael Saunders.
· Peter Gammons of Gammons Daily reports that free agent lefty Craig Breslow will have a showcase for teams on January 23. The Mets, Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers will be among some of the teams watching.
· Pete Caldera of the Bergen Record reports that New York Yankees lefty C.C. Sabathia isn’t considering retirement even though he turns 37 this season and is in the last year of his contract.
· According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, the St. Louis Cardinals and catcher Yadier Molina are “motivated” to work out a new deal for 2018. He is entering the last season of his current $14MM deal.null