· Closer Greg Holland has finally picked a team to sign with as the two-time All-Star has signed a one-year, $7 million deal with the Colorado Rockies. The deal will also include a vesting option for a second year. Holland missed the entire 2016 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery to repair the UCL ligament in his right elbow. The Kansas City Royals definitely felt his loss last season. According to FanGraphs, the Royals bullpen went from ranking 3rd in 2015 to 8th last year. In six years of service, Holland is 18-12 with a 3.42 ERA, 430 K’s and 145 saves.
· According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Cleveland Indians are in the market for a southpaw reliever. Some of the names mentioned are former Tribe reliever Craig Breslow, Boone Logan, Travis Wood, J.P. Howell, Javier Lopez and Chris Capuano. They have also been “doing background work” on veteran righty Joe Blanton.
News and Notes
· Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that newly acquired Los Angeles Angels infielder Luis Valbuena will mainly play at first base this season. C.J. Cron, the original first baseman for the club, will have to fight for playing time.
· Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Los Angeles Dodgers have traded minor league infielder Jordan Tarsovich to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for outfielder Brett Eibner. Righty Carlos Frias was DFA’d in order to make room.
· The Boston Red Sox have claimed first baseman/outfielder Steve Selsky off waivers from the Cincinnati Reds.
· According to Jane Lee of MLB.com, the Oakland Athletics have signed veteran infielder Adam Rosales to a one-year deal. Lefty Dillion Overton has been DFA’d to create a roster spot.
· According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Boston Red Sox and lefty Drew Pomeranz have avoided arbitration. The deal is for one-year, $4.45MM. Both sides were originally far from an agreement as Pomeranz wanted $5.7MM and the Red Sox only offered $3.6MM.
· Chris Cotillo of SB Nation reports that the Philadelphia Phillies have signed catcher Ryan Hanigan to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training. He will make $1.25MM if he makes the club.
· The Detroit Tigers have outrighted outfielder Anthony Gose, and he has been optioned to Triple-A Toledo.
· Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Cincinnati Reds have signed righty Scott Feldman to a one-year deal. The deal is for $2.3MM with another $2.2MM with incentives.
· According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Los Angeles Dodgers have signed righty Brandon Morrow to a minor league deal. He will earn $1.25MM if he makes the final roster.
· According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Mets, Blue Jays, Phillies, Giants and Marlins are all seeking lefty relievers. Some of the names mentioned are the same ones the Indians could potentially acquire.
· Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports that the Minnesota Twins are interested in former Tribe righty Joe Smith.