· The Kansas City Royals might have found their replacement for the departed Kendrys Morales. Former Tribe slugger Brandon Moss signed with the Royals on Sunday. He signed a two-year, $3.5MM deal. In 128 games last season, Moss only batted .225 with 28 HR and 67 RBI. The numbers don’t jump out like Edwin Encarnacion’s 42 HR and career-high 127 RBI, but it adds another power bat to the lineup with Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas. Moss hit .285 against the AL Central during his time with the Tribe.
News and Notes
· David Laurila of FanGraphs reports that the Houston Astros are not willing to trade top pitching prospect Francis Martes to get ace Jose Quintana from the Chicago White Sox. The Astros feel the righty has the highest ceiling of any other prospect righty in the MLB.
· According to Mike Beradino of the Pioneer Press, free agent first baseman Justin Morneau is interested in a reunion with the Minnesota Twins. The interest is said to be mutual.
· Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Scooter Gennett will be trying multiple positions including the outfield during Spring Training.
· According to Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle, Houston Astros lefty Dallas Keuchel will throw off the mound on Thursday. It will be his first time since August after dealing with shoulder problems and being shut down.
· Former San Francisco Giants infielder Ramiro Pena will play with the Hiroshima Carp of Japan after turning down a deal to sign a minor-league deal with the Giants.