· Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson has been sidelined for two to three weeks with a calf strain. During sprints on Saturday, Donaldson felt something grab at his right calf muscle. On Sunday, he was seen in the clubhouse walking with crutches to take pressure off the leg. He was diagnosed with a right calf strain. Donaldson doesn’t believe it will be a lingering issue, but believes “it would be tough” to play through during games. It’s certainly not news the Blue Jays or their fans wanted to hear during Spring Training.
News and Notes
· Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Arizona Diamondbacks have signed lefty Jorge De La Rosa to a minor-league deal. He will earn $2.25MM if he makes the roster.
· According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, former reliever Eric Gagne is considering a comeback at the age of 41. He retired in 2010. Gagne is pitching for Team Canada in this year’s World Baseball Classic.
· Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that he believes the Boston Red Sox will try to make a trade for Chicago White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier if Pablo Sandoval struggles during the season.
· According to Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune, Chicago White Sox outfielder Charlie Tilson suffered a stress fracture in his right foot and will not participate in any activities for 10 days.
· According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Chicago Cubs catcher/outfielder Kyle Schwarber caught his first bullpen session since last April after tearing multiple knee ligaments and not returning until the World Series.
· Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Baltimore Orioles traded minor league righty Ryan Moseley to the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for lefty Vidal Nuno. In a corresponding move, the Orioles have DFA’d lefty T.J. McFarland to create room.
· Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the New York Yankees have signed lefty Jon Niese to a minor-league contract. The deal will be official when Niese passes a physical.
· According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Kansas City Royals are in talks with Eric Hosmer about a contract extension. Hosmer has set Opening Day as the deadline for negotiations.
· Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports that Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista was considering between five or six places before choosing to re-sign with the Blue Jays.
· According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, St. Louis Cardinals infielder Jhonny Peralta is healthy and fully prepared to make a move to third base.