· According to Thomas Harding of MLB.com, Colorado Rockies infielder Ian Desmond suffered a fracture in his left hand after getting hit by Cincinnati Reds righty Rookie Davis. He will visit a hand specialist on Monday.
News and Notes
· According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, the Atlanta Braves have attempted to “reel in” free agent outfielder Angel Pagan, but a deal is highly unlikely since he’s seeking more than the Braves are willing to offer.
· Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Cincinnati Reds righty Anthony DeSclafani’s tender elbow will likely land him on the DL once the season starts. He will undergo an MRI on Monday.
· Chris Cotillo of SB Nation reports that former closer Eric Gagne is drawing interest from numerous teams. One of those teams is reported to be the San Diego Padres. The 41-year old has not pitched in the majors since 2008.
· According to Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle, the Houston Astros have placed lefty Kevin Chapman on waivers. They don’t expect any teams to claim him, and will outright him to Triple-A Fresno if this occurs.
· The Philadelphia Phillies have traded outfielder Joey Curletta to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for ambidextrous reliever Pat Venditte.
· According to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com, Baltimore Orioles righty Chris Tillman is expected to start the season on the DL with shoulder soreness.
· Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that St. Louis Cardinals righty Trevor Rosenthal’s chances of landing a spot within the rotation have come to a halt. He is still suffering from right lat muscle soreness.
· According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Los Angeles Dodgers lefty Julio Urias will begin the season in the minors instead of making the final rotation. Brandon McCarthy, Alex Wood and Hyun-Jin Ryu would be the replacements for the final spot.