· Yandy Diaz has been white hot all spring training for the Indians, and it continued on Wednesday against the Cincinnati Reds. In a game full of homeruns, Diaz showed his power as he hit one in the second inning off of Reds lefty Brandon Finnegan. With Jason Kipnis starting the season on the DL and Jose Ramirez expected to replace him, there has been a debate at third base between Diaz, Giovanny Urshela and even Michael Martinez. The home run Diaz hit on Wednesday may have solidified his spot on the club. Diaz is batting .429 with two homeruns and 13 RBI’s this spring.
News and Notes
· Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post reports that the Washington Nationals have released veteran righty Vance Worley.
· Billy Witz of the New York Times reports that New York Mets closer Jeurys Familia with receive a 15-game suspension from the MLB due to their domestic violence policy.
· According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Pittsburgh Pirates have released righty Jared Hughes.
· Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Detroit Tigers have placed outfielder Steven Moya on release waivers.
· According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, New York Mets lefty Steven Matz isn’t expected to be ready for opening day. He has been dealing with elbow soreness.
· Toronto Blue Jays righty Bo Schultz underwent Tommy John surgery on Wednesday. Schultz will miss the entire 2017 season.
· According to Chris Cotillo of SB Nation, the Minnesota Twins have reached a minor league deal with righty Paul Clemens.
· The St. Louis Cardinals have selected the contract of catcher Eric Fryer, and have placed lefty Zach Duke on the 60-day DL.
· Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Tampa Bay Rays righty Shawn Tolleson will open the season on the 10-day DL due to a back issue.