· The last two and a half years for Los Angeles Angels righty Garrett Richards have not been kind. In 2014, he underwent left knee surgery and missed the remainder of the season. He followed that up with a good campaign in 2015 making all 32 of his starts, but last year he only appeared in six games after suffering torn ligaments in his right elbow and opted not to undergo Tommy John surgery. On Wednesday against the Oakland Athletics, after months of rehab and a good showing in spring training, Richards left the game in the fifth inning due to biceps cramping. He was removed due to precautionary reasons. He held the Athletics to 4.2 scoreless innings and finished with four strikeouts.
News and Notes
· According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Oakland Athletics righty Sonny Gray threw a 25-pitch bullpen session Tuesday at 100 percent effort level. Gray suffered a strained lat muscle in spring training and is due for another bullpen session on Friday.
· Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports that the San Francisco Giants have signed former Tribe righty Ryan Webb to a minor league deal. He will start in Triple-A Sacramento.
· The Cincinnati Reds have claimed outfielder Tyler Goeddel off waivers from the Philadelphia Phillies. To make room, the Reds have placed righty Anthony DeSclafani on the 60-day DL.
· James Wagner of the New York Times reports that the New York Mets have signed outfielder Desmond Jennings to a minor league deal and have assigned him to Triple-A Las Vegas.
· According to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Times, the Milwaukee Brewers have claimed infielder/outfielder Nick Franklin off waivers from the Tampa Bay Rays. In order to make room, the Brewers have DFA’d righty Michael Blazek.
· According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Chicago White Sox have signed veteran righty Mike Pelfrey to a minor league deal. He’s been assigned to Triple-A Charlotte.
· The Colorado Rockies have released veteran reliever Jason Motte.
· Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports that the Toronto Blue Jays have released righty Gavin Floyd.
· According to Charlie Gasparino and Brian Schwartz of FOX Business, New York Yankees legend Derek Jeter and former Florida governor Jeb Bush are both working on bidding groups to buy the Miami Marlins.
· Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that the Oakland Athletics have placed closer John Axford on the 10-day DL with a strained shoulder.
· The Baltimore Orioles have signed veteran righty Edwin Jackson to a minor league deal.
· According to Alex Pavlovic of NBC, the San Francisco Giants have signed outfielder Drew Stubbs to a minor league deal.