· The Seattle Mariners did it again. They allowed a team to come back on them and win the game after starting out with a big lead. However, this time it wasn’t as epic as the Cleveland Indians comeback in 2001. The Angels were down 10-2, but came back to win the game 15-14 in the 11th inning. The Los Angeles Angels mirrored that by rallying for seven runs in the ninth inning on Sunday. At one point, the Angels were down 7-1 to the Mariners, and it looked like an easy victory, but a leadoff home run by Albert Pujols and a game-winning single from Cliff Pennington gave the Angels the win. Hisashi Iwakuma pitched a good game, but once he was taken out the rally began for the Angels as they got hits against righties Casey Fien and Edwin Diaz. This was the first time the Angels scored at least seven runs in the ninth inning since 1986 against the Detroit Tigers.
News and Notes
· The Washington Nationals have DFA’d righty Jeremy Guthrie. This move allows the Nationals to select the contract of former Tribe righty Matt Albers.
· The Milwaukee Brewers have DFA’d righty Damien Magnifico and have selected the contract of righty David Goforth.
· According to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet, the Toronto Blue Jays have placed lefty J.P. Howell on the 10-day DL with a sore shoulder. They have recalled righty Dominic Leone to fill the open spot.
· Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports that Baltimore Orioles outfielder Joey Rickard has been placed on the 10-day DL with a sprained left middle finger.
· The Miami Marlins have placed shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria on the 10-day DL due to a left oblique strain. Infielder J.T. Riddle will fill the open spot.
· Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson left Sunday’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays with right calf tightness. He missed most of Spring Training with the current strain.
· The Seattle Mariners have released former Indians outfielder James Ramsey.
· Jon Heyman of FanRag reports that the Washington Nationals will re-sign veteran closer Joe Nathan to a minor league deal.
· The San Diego Padres have placed righty Trevor Cahill on the DL with a lower back strain.
· According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Atlanta Braves have signed veteran reliever Jason Motte to a minor league deal.