· One of the surprising teams of the young season are the Cincinnati Reds as they are currently 7-2 after sweeping the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday. This is their best start since 1990 when they started 9-0. Most Reds fans were accepting of the team rebuilding with young prospects and moving past the Brandon Phillips era; however, this Reds team believes that it can play with the best of them, and they have been doing just that so far. Skipper Brian Price spoke on the hot start by the Reds to Bob Cohn of MLB.com, “There’s a much stronger sense of community on our team, and some young guys are seizing the opportunity. We do have the young group of young pitcher’s that we’ve been talking about the last couple of years. We’re starting to see them get to the big leagues and perform.”
News and Notes
· Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that Texas Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre has suffered a setback in his rehab from a calf strain. The new strain occurred in a different part of the leg after he ran on Saturday.
· According to Andrew Baggarrly of the San Jose Mercury News, teams have shown interest in San Francisco Giants righty Clayton Blackburn. He was DFA’d on Tuesday.
· The Detroit Tigers have signed first baseman James Loney to a minor league deal.
· The Washington Nationals have placed infielder Stephen Drew on the 10-day DL due to a right hamstring strain. This move led to the club selected the contract of infielder Grant Green.
· The New York Yankees have DFA’d righty Johnny Barbato. This move clears room for lefty Jordan Montgomery.
· According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Texas Rangers reliever Matt Bush is heading back to Texas to have the sore AC joint in his shoulder examined.
· Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that righty Andrew Cashner is ready to join the Texas Rangers rotation after throwing five shutout innings in an extended Spring Training game.
· Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that Seattle Mariners outfielder Boog Powell will be reinstated after serving an 80-game suspension for a failed PED test last June.
· The Seattle Mariners have outrighted righty Casey Fien to Triple-A Tacoma. This move opens up a spot for fellow righty Evan Marshall.
· According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, righty Clay Buchholz was diagnosed with a flexor strain in his pitching arm. He will visit Dr. James Andrews on Thursday for a second opinion.
· According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Franklin Gutierrez is headed to the 10-day DL with a hamstring strain.
· Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports that Detroit Tigers outfielder J.D. Martinez is expected to be activated off the DL by early May after suffering a Lisfranc injury in his left foot.
· Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune reports that Chicago White Sox lefty Carlos Rondon is progressing in his recovery from biceps bursitis.