- The San Francisco Giants are in trouble early. They’re off to a disappointing 6-13 start on the season and have lost their ace pitcher Madison Bumgarner for about two months due to a dirt bike accident. In an effort to get a spark going, the club is promoting top prospect Christian Arroyo per Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area. The #1 prospect in the Giants system was hitting a sizziling .446/.478/.692 with three home runs, 12 RBIs and two stolen bases. He is expected to take over full time at the hot corner with Eduardo Nuñez sliding over to left field. The Giants have had a huge hole in left field since the season started so hopefully the addition of Arroyo to the roster will help stabilize things and help the Giants reignite things offensively. The NL West is proving more competitive this year with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies off to strong starts and the Giants are in danger of being left behind early. Arroyo doesn’t have a ton of experience at the Triple-A level so his promotion is a bit of a surprise but it shows the Giants’ state of mind surrounding their slow start to the 2017 season.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks are sending right-hander Shelby Miller to the 10-day DL with forearm tightness per a team announcement. He is reportedly going to get a second opinion on his elbow by orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache. It’s not for sure if he needs Tommy John surgery but it clearly is a fear within the organization. Should he need the surgery, it would be another tough pill to swallow for the Diamondbacks whom gave up a package of talented players to bring Miller to Arizona in what continues to turn out to be one of the worst trades in MLB history.
- Tampa Bay Rays righty Jake Odorizzi is expected to be back May 1st per a team announcement. He was sidelined with a strained left hamstring but went through four innings in a simulated game over the weekend so it’s obvious his hamstring is recovering nicely.
- Boston Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval is headed for an MRI on his right knee per Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald. Sandoval had to leave Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Orioles with a right knee sprain. The Red Sox are holding their breath right now as if it turns out to be a serious injury it would leave a gaping hole at third base.
- Orioles closer Zach Britton is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Wednesday per Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun. Britton went to the DL with a forearm strain and the Orioles are taking precaution in his recovery. They’ll re-evaluate their options after the bullpen session.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers are placing center fielder Joc Pederson on the 10-day DL with a groin injury per a team announcement. The Dodgers reportedly don’t view it as an overly serious injury but clearly see no reason to be reckless and would rather take the safe approach when it comes to a key member of their team so early in the season.