· It has already been a tough start for the Seattle Mariners. They have the worst record in the AL West at 9-13 and they just lost two of their top players, one being ace Felix Hernandez. Outfielder Mitch Haniger and Hernandez were both taken out of the third inning on Tuesday against the Detroit Tigers. Hernandez was suffering from an alleged fatigued arm and Haniger suffered an oblique strain. On Wednesday, both were placed on the 10-day DL. According to Jon Morosi of MLB.com, Hernandez is expected to miss two to three weeks of action. It’s another set of unfortunate events for a struggling team.
News and Notes
· According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Pittsburgh Pirates are set to promote infielder Gift Ngoepe to the MLB within the coming days. He would be the first African player to make his debut.
· The San Diego Padres have claimed righty Kirby Yates off waivers from the Los Angeles Angels.
· The Colorado Rockies have placed lefty Mike Dunn on the 10-day DL due to back spasms.
· According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the San Francisco Giants and Milwaukee Brewers have had talks in a trade for Ryan Braun. However, talks never got serious.
· Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the San Francisco Giants have selected the contract of first baseman/outfielder Michael Morse, and have placed outfielder Denard Span on the 10-day DL.
· Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post reports that the Washington Nationals have placed righty Koda Glovers on the 10-day DL with impingement in his right hip.
· According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, New York Mets pitchers Steven Matz and Seth Lugo are ready to begin throwing off the mound. Matz has missed time with an elbow injury, Lugo with a partial tear in his UCL.
· According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Arizona Diamondbacks righty Shelby Miller went to Dr. James Andrews to get a third opinion on his torn UCL. Reports were that Andrews did see something.