- Martin Prado just can’t catch a break. He wasn’t far removed from getting off the DL and is now going back on. The Miami Marlins have announced that Prado will be going on the 10-day DL with a right hamstring strain per a club announcement. Prado had only played in 17 games after missing the first month of the season, but had been productive as he hit .290/.315/.406 so far in his short time in the season. Unfortunately, he has re-injured his hamstring and it appears to be a much more serious injury this time around as he is reportedly having trouble walking around on the injury. That indicates he’ll need a longer time for recovery than the previous time he needed for his first hamstring injury which will leave the Marlins hurting for offensive production at the hot corner. Derek Dietrich is expected to resume everyday responsibilities at third base but has hit just .224/.348/.293 on the season.
- The Toronto Blue Jays have placed catcher Russell Martin on the 10-day DL with nerve problems in his left shoulder per Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca. Martin reportedly suffered the injury early in Spring Training and has been dealing with it ever since then. It became agitated when he collided with Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Tim Beckham in the weekend series. It’s apparently gotten so bad now that he needs time off to properly rest and nurse it back to health.
- Veteran right-hander Jeremy Guthrie is reportedly not pursuing a major league contract at the moment per Mark Zuckerman of MASNsports.com. He made an appearance with the Washington Nationals earlier in the season, but it was a complete disaster and the Nats cut ties with him quickly after the outing. He hasn’t officially retired but is clearly close to that point right now.
- Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Jameson Taillon has undergone surgery for suspected testicular cancer per a team announcement. It is shocking news to hear that the young righty may be dealing with testicular cancer and obviously best wishes go out to him for a speedy recovery. He recently went on the DL for an unrelated injury and will obviously be missing a lot more time than originally expected.
- The Atlanta Braves have agreed to a trade with the Minnesota Twins in a deal with the Braves acquiring utility player Danny Santana in exchange for left-hander Kevin Chapman and cash considerations per a team announcement. Santana had been designated for assignment a few days earlier so the Twins were able to get something for him rather than let him leave for nothing.
- The San Diego Padres have acquired veteran outfielder Matt Szczur in exchange for right-hander Justin Hancock from the Chicago Cubs per club announcements. Szczur had been designated for assignment after being the odd man out in the outfield with the Cubs. Hancock has never pitched at the major league level, but the Cubs are in need of bullpen arms as their bullpen has been working feverishly the last couple of games.