· It was a rough Wednesday for Washington D.C. area fans. The Washington Capitals were eliminated by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round of the NHL playoffs, which was followed by the Washington Wizards losing big to the Boston Celtics in Game 5 of the NBA Eastern Conference semifinals. However, one team didn’t disappoint, and that was the Washington Nationals. In an exciting game, catcher Matt Wieters hit a two-run single off of reliever Brad Brach to get the walk-off win against his former team the Baltimore Orioles. It was not only a big win for the Nationals and Wieters, but it put a halt to the O’s six-game winning streak.
News and Notes
· The Cincinnati Reds have optioned righty Rookie Davis to Triple-A Louisville.
· The Seattle Mariners have placed righty Hisashi Iwakuma on the 10-day DL due to inflammation in his right shoulder. The move led to the club selecting the contract of righty Sam Gaviglio.
· According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch,former St. Louis Cardinals righty Seth Maness joined the Kansas City Royals in St. Petersburg Wednesday as they played the Tampa Bay Rays. Infielder Christian Colon and Peter O’Brien were DFA’d to make room for him, and reliever Al Alburquerque.
· The San Diego Padres have claimed righty Jose Valdez off waivers from Los Angeles Angels, and optioned them to Triple-A El Paso.
· The Miami Marlins have placed shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria on the 10-day DL. This move led to the team selecting the contract of utility man Stephen Lombardozzi.
· The Minnesota Twins have claimed lefty Adam Wilk of waiver from the New York Mets.
· Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Andrew Toles has been diagnosed with a torn right ACL. If he elects to have surgery, he will miss the remainder of the season.
· Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that Boston Red Sox lefty David Price will get his first rehab start on Sunday in Triple-A Pawtucket.
· According to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com, the Baltimore Orioles have signed infielder/outfielder Adam Walker to a minor-league deal.
· According to Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald, Boston Red Sox infielder Hanley Ramirez left Wednesday’s game due to “right trap muscle spasms.”
· Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Tampa Bay Rays catcher Wilson Ramos is recovering from his rehab from ACL surgery. He hopes to begin a rehab stint before May ends.