"League Digest" is a new addition to the Smoke Signals podcast network where Jake Dungan and Jamie Dillon discuss the latest news and notes from the world of Major League Baseball.
As if things couldn't get any more turbulent for the New York Mets, this week they found themselves having to suspend their ace, Matt Harvey, for three games for breaking curfew and not showing up at the ballpark one day and then learning that their closer, Jeurys Familia, could potentially miss the rest of the season after being diagnosed with an arterial clot in his shoulder. Jake and Jamie talk about all the drama emanating from Queens as well as the latest injury updates from around the league, an MLB investigation of the Dodgers and so much more.
- Matt Harvey receives team-initiated three-game suspension without pay for breaking curfew and not showing up at the ballpark the next day.
- Admits to spotting model girlfriend with Patriots reciever Julian Edelman and to playing golf the morning before he was supposed to show up at the ballpark.
- Ailing closers:
> Jeurys Familia goes to DL with arterial clot in right shoulder, may need surgery.
> Zach Britton could miss 45-60 days with forearm strain.
> Mark Melancon placed on 10-day DL with mild right pronator strain.
> Francisco Rodriguez removed from closer's role in Detroit after blowing four saves in 11 chances.
- Oakland A's introduce $19.99 monthly pass that guarantees entry to all home games.
- MLB investigating Dodgers for discrimination against Afghan war veteran and former assistant director of player development Nick Francona.
- David Price begins minor league rehab from elbow injury.
- Yankees and Cubs play longest interleague game in MLB history (18 innings) and strike out a record combined 48 times. Yankees win 5-4.
- Derek Jeter to have number retired on Sunday.
- Braves release former NL MVP Ryan Howard after hitting just .184 in Triple-A.
- Jameson Taillon undergoes surgery for suspected testicular cancer. Timetable for return not set.
- Trivia question.
- This week in baseball history.
Please subscribe to our show on iTunes and feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @SmokeSignalsIBI with any feedback, suggestions or ideas for the podcast. Also be sure to follow us on Twitter @JakeDBaseball and @jdillon330.Thanks again for listening!