Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Shane Bieber (Akron, SP): ND, 6 IP, 9 H, 2 R (1 earned), 3 K, 1 WP - Bieber continues to pitch well in Advanced Single-A following his promotion from Low-A Lake County. He has allowed one earned run in six innings in each of his two Hillcat starts for an ERA of 1.50. While this may seem odd given that he posted a 2.63 ERA in the lower level of full-season A-ball, it's not really that surprising when you consider that, when you exclude one terrible start in which he allowed five earned runs in 5.1 innings pitched, that Captains ERA drops to 1.90. While Bieber has yet to pitch a scoreless outing this season, he has done a great job of minimizing the damage. Not bad for a guy who was pitching for the UCSB Gauchos this time last year.
- Ronny Rodriguez (Columbus, 2B): 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI - Rodriguez makes it three of his last four games and four of his last six with multiple hits as he bounces back quickly from an 0-for-4 game on Sunday at Gwinnett,
- Eric Stamets (Columbus, SS): 2-4, 1 R, 2 2B - Stamets picked up his first two extra-base hits of the Triple-A season in his eleventh game of the year with Columbus.
- Giovanny Urshela (Columbus, 3B): 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI - Urshela has driven in a run in back-to-back games following a nine-game stretch during which he had no RBI in eight of them (to be fair, he did drive in four in the other game).
- Erik Kratz (Columbus, DH): 2-4, 1R, 1 K - Kratz continues his solid start to the season, following up an 0-for-4 Sunday with two hits last night. His slash line now stands at .365/.420/.649 with ten extra-base hits (including five home runs) and as many RBI in 20 games.
- Travis Banwart (Columbus, SP): W (1-2), 5.2 IP, 8 H, 1 R (earned), 1 BB (1 intentional), 7 K - Banwart allowed less than two earned runs in an outing of five or more innings for the second time this season. Those are also the two outings in which he has picked up the individual win (the first came with Double-A Akron).
- Joe Colon (Columbus, RP): H (3), 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (earned), 2 BB, 2 K - Colon allowed his second earned run of the season and his first since Opening Night on Monday, ending an eleven-game, 12.1 IP shutout streak.
- Josh Martin (Columbus, CP): S (2), 0.1 IP, perfect - Josh Martin makes it two saves by picking up the one-out save on Monday evening in the state's capital.
- Tyler Krieger (Akron, 2B): 1-4, 1 2B, 1 SB - Krieger's tenth double and ninth stolen base (in 28 games this season) were among the highlights of an ugly offensive effort by the RubberDucks lineup.
- Mike Papi (Akron, RF): 1-4, 1 R, 1 K - Papi, who is batting .308/.416/.433 in 31 games this season (all with Akron), scored the RubberDucks' only run of the contest.
- Yu-Cheng Chang (Akron, SS): 1-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 HBP - While Chang continues to struggle (batting .191 on the season and .138 in his last nine games), he drove in the lone Akron run of the evening yesterday.
- Eric Haase (Akron, C): 2-4,1 3B, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 PB - Haase's first multi-hit outing in over two weeks (April 30) was the only one by a RubberDuck hitter last night.
- D.J. Brown (Akron, SP): L (0-3), 6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R (2 earned), 1 BB, 5 K - Brown had a solid night in his first outing of more than four innings, but ended up with his third individual loss of the season due to a lack of run support.
- Dylan Baker (Akron, RP): 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 K - Baker continued his stellar, albeit delayed, start to the season with this effort. He has allowed only one earned run in 5.1 IP this season. Not bad for a guy who missed all of last season.
- Cole Sulser (Akron, RP): 1 IP, perfect, 1 K - Sulser has not allowed an earned run in 9.1 IP in six outings and has allowed only one in 12.0 IP (eight appearances) following his three-run, one-inning season debut on April 9.
- Sam Haggerty (Lynchburg, 2B): 0-5, 2 K - Haggerty's feast-or-famine trend continues with his third hitless game in his last six (the other three were all multi-hit efforts).
- Ka'ai Tom (Lynchburg, LF): 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K - Tom was the only Hillcat to both make a plate appearance and score a run yesterday (the other run was scored by pinch runner Jodd Carter).
- Andrew Calica (Lynchurg, RF): 1-3, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K - Calica's fifth double (and seventh extra-base hit) of the year was the only extra-base hit by a Hillcat in yesterday's contest.
- Yonathan Mendoza (Lynchburg, 1B): 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 HBP - Mendoza's 16th RBI (in 29 games) was the Hillcats' only one of the game.
- Argenis Angulo (Lynchburg, RP): L (1-1), 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (earned), 3 BB (1 intentional), 2 K - This outing ended a five-inning (in as many games) shutout streak for Angulo, who allowed only his third earned run of the campaign (in 14.2 innings in 12 outings).
- Alexis Pantoja (Lake County, 2B): 1-5, 2 R,1 SB - Pantoja stole his fifth base of the season and scored both Captains runs in an effort that saw his hitting streak reach five games.
- Li-Jen Chu (Lake County, DH): 0-3, 1 BB - Chu's three-game multi-hit streak came to an end, but his on-base streak continued and now stands at four games.
- Emmanuel Tapia (Lake County, 1B): 1-4, 1 RBI - The Captains' lone RBI of Monday's game brings Tapia's season total to 19 in 30 games.
- Luke Wakamatsu (Lake County, SS): 2-4 - Wakamatsu rebounded from an 0-for-5 Saturday with the Captains' only multi-hit effort of yesterday's contest.
- Todd Isaacs (Lake County, CF): 1-4 ,1 2B, 1 K- Isaacs was the only Captain with an extra-base hit last night.
- Aaron Civale (Lake County, SP): ND, 6 IP, 8 H, 2 R (both earned), 7 K - While not as good as Civale's season-best outing his last time on the mound (seven two-hit shutout innings), this was nonetheless a solid effort.
- Ben Krauth (Lake County, RP): L (3-1), 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (earned), 4 K - Krauth proves that he is human as he allowed his second earned run of the season (in 22 innings in 9 appearances).