· It was a rocky start to the season for the Texas Rangers. It started out by them getting swept at home by the Cleveland Indians. They have also been without their leader in Adrian Beltre all season as he is recovering from a strained calf and has had numerous setbacks in trying to make his return. They were also without righty Andrew Cashner. Even with those mishaps, the Rangers are the hottest team in the MLB right now. They won their eighth straight game on Wednesday as they defeated the Philadelphia Phillies, 9-3. They are one game above .500 for the first time at 21-20. Skipper Jeff Banister spoke to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com on the current win streak. “It’s very encouraging. It’s big. When you’re not at full strength of regular guys, especially in this type of situation, it’s a great lift for the team. It gives the rest of the crew of guys great confidence.”
· According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, Cleveland Indians outfielder Abraham Almonte is expected to miss three to five weeks with a sprained right biceps tendon.
News and Notes
· The Miami Marlins have DFA’d utility man Mike Aviles. The move opens up a spot for infielder Christian Colon, who was claimed on Tuesday. Righties Brian Ellington and Odrisamer Despainge were recalled from Triple-A. Veteran righty Junichi Tazawa will be placed on the 10-day DL to create room.
· Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pittsburgh Pirates have placed outfielder Gregory Polanco on the 10-day DL due to a left hamstring strain.
· The Baltimore Orioles have DFA’d catcher Francisco Pena. This move allows room for righty Stefan Crichton.
· According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Houston Astros will be in the market for starting pitching during the trade deadline this summer.
· Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that the Seattle Mariners have temporarily relieved closer Edwin Diaz of his duties. They will go closer-by-committee for the time being.
· According to Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago, Chicago White Sox infielder Yoan Moncada has been placed on the 7-day DL with a sore left thumb. He was due to potentially be called up.
· Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star reports that Kansas City Royals righty Ian Kennedy could return by the weekend. He’s been out with injured right hamstring.
· A.J. Cassavell of MLB.com reports that San Diego Padres righty Trevor Cahill has been placed on the 10-day DL due to a right shoulder strain.
· According to David O’ Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman left Wednesday’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays after being struck on the left wrist with a fastball. He will get an MRI and CT scan today.