"League Digest" is a new addition to the Smoke Signals podcast network where Jake Dungan and Jamie Dillon discuss the latest news and notes from the world of Major League Baseball.
With June now upon us and a quarter of the 2017 MLB season now in the books, the time has come for the real contenders to start separating themselves from the rest of the pack while the teams who have gotten off to slower starts will have to do some self-evaluation and decide whether to start building for the future. It's a tough call to sell off your top name players, but sometimes it's necessary to ensure the future of the organization. Jake and Jamie discuss all that, plus the ongoing drama in Queens, the Marlins sale that won't get done and more on this week's League Digest.
- Tigers will reportedly make veteran players available for trade if under .500 after June.
- Nationals looking to add a closer.
- Rockies pitcher Chad Bettis determined to pitch again in 2017 despite cancer diagnosis.
- Pirates starter Jameson Taillon throws first bullpen session since testicular cancer surgery. Still no timetable for his return.
- Royals GM Dayton Moore reluctant to trade key pieces despite last place standing.
- Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins still focused on adding and winning despite Toronto's slow start.
- Jays ace Aaron Sanchez still bothered by finger injury, causing blisters and bleeding.
- Tigers OF Anthony Gose converts to pitching, hits 99 mph in debut.
- Terry Collins "not at liberty" to discuss Mets injuries. Speculation mounting about a possible internal decree from Mets' brass to not discuss injuries.
- Jeffrey Loria reportedly will have to lower asking price to sell Marlins.
- Braves acquire 1B/OF Matt Adams from Cardinals to fill in for injuried Freddie Freeman.
- Eric Gagne's comeback bid ends as he officially retires 16 days after signing with the Long Island Ducks. Cites his body wasn't responding the way he had hoped.
- Trivia question.
- This week in baseball history.
Please subscribe to our show on iTunes and feel free to email us at email@example.com or tweet us @SmokeSignalsIBI with any feedback, suggestions or ideas for the podcast. Also be sure to follow us on Twitter @JakeDBaseball and @jdillon330.Thanks again for listening!