Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Aaron Civale (Lynchburg, SP): W (2-1), 8 IP, 2 H, 1 R (earned), 4 K - Civale dominated on Monday night and celebrated his birthday by coming within three outs of pitching a complete game - which is an impressive feat in a Single-A game. His promotion to Advanced Single-A from Full-Season Single-A Lake County seems to have reinvigorated Civale, who has allowed only four earned runs on ten hits in 18.1 innings since his call-up following two rough starts with the Captains in which he allowed a combined 14 ER on 21 H in 9.2 IP. I'm not sure why he's pitching better at a higher level, but he has been up to the challenge and hopefully he can keep it up.
Ryan Merritt (Lake County, SP): W (1-0), 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R (both earned), 1 BB, 4 K - Following three consecutive individual wins pitching for Triple-A Columbus, Merritt was sent down to Lake County to keep him in line to pitch this coming Saturday for a scheduled doubleheader. While his stat line was solid, as you would expect from a pitcher who played a crucial role in lat year's American League Championship Series facing Single-A hitting, it wasn't substantially different from his three most recent Triple-A wins (combined 8 ER on 21 H in 19.0 IP). This was a nice tune up start in preparation for facing big league hitters in his next outing on Saturday.
- Ka'ai Tom (Lynchburg, RF): 3-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K - Tom continues to turn his season around as he now has a five-game hitting streak with two multi-hit performances. In that timeframe, his batting average has improved from .228 to .243.
- Yonathan Mendoza (Lynchburg, 2B): 2-5, 1 R, 1 E - Mendoza's first multi-hit game (and first run) since June 4 ends a five-game 3-for-18 (.167) slump.
- Sicnarf Loopstok (Lynchburg, LF): 2-5, 2 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K - The "Loopstok in Left Field" experiment continued on Monday night with Sicnarf playing his fourth game at the position this season. He also made it back-to-back multi-hit games following three hitless outings.
- Martin Cervenka (Lynchburg, C): 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI - Cervenka extended his hitting streak to six games with his third multi-hit effort of the streak. Martin is batting .409 (9-for-22) during the streak.
- Willi Castro (Lynchburg, SS): 2-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 SB - Castro is on a roll recently. He has a seven-game hitting streak during which he is batting .393 (11-for-28) with nine RBI. During the streak, his batting average has increased from .277 to .294 (it actually reached a low of .276 following the first game of the streak, in which he went 1-for-4).
- Anthony Miller (Lynchburg, 1B): 2-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K - Miller continues to be feast-or-famine as his last four games consist of two hitless outings and two two-hit games.
- Justin Garcia (Lynchburg, RP): 1 IP, perfect - Garcia has allowed only one earned run in his last five outings (8.1 innings).
- Junior Soto (Lake County, CF): 2-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K - Soto's first multi-hit game since June 3 ends a seven-game 3-for-29 (.103) slump.
- Miguel Eladio (Lake County, SS): 1-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 K - Eladio has a six-game run streak and hits in five of his last seven.
- Li-Jen Chu (Lake County, DH): 2-3, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 HBP - Chu makes it back-to-back multi-hit, multi-run games as he reached base three times in four plate appearances on Monday.
- Ryder Ryan (Lake County, RP): S (4), 2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (both earned), 1 HR allowed - Even in his worst outing of the season, Ryan picks up the save. This guy is good.