- The Washington Nationals finally got the help to bolster their bullpen on Sunday. Coming into the game against the Cincinnati Reds, the best team in the NL East had the worst bullpen ERA in the MLB at 5.34. They made a trade with the Oakland Athletics to acquire righty Ryan Madson and lefty Sean Doolittle in exchange for righty Blake Treinen and prospects. It is likely one of them will be the new closer for the team since the Nationals are currently going with a closer by committee. Madson has a 2.06 ERA in 40 games, while Doolittle has a 3.38 ERA.
News and Notes:
- The Boston Red Sox have placed righty Blaine Boyer on the 10-day DL with a right elbow strain.
- According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network the Rockies, Royals, Cardinals, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks have all shown interest in Detroit Tigers outfielder J.D. Martinez.
- The Colorado Rockies have placed righty Tyler Chatwood on the 10-day DL with a right calf strain and have activated infielder/outfielder Ian Desmond.
- The Los Angeles Angels have DFA’d second baseman Danny Espinosa.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Baltimore Orioles are open to trading relievers Zach Britton, Darren O’ Day, Brad Brach, and outfielder Seth Smith.
- According to Mark Feinsand of MLB.com, nearly a dozen teams have shown interest in St. Louis Cardinals lefty Jaime Garcia, however, they aren’t ready to sell.
- Jon Heyman of FanRag reports that free agent first baseman Chris Carter will likely sign with the Athletics or Texas Rangers.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Toronto Blue Jays are unlikely to trade veteran lefty J.A. Happ.
- Chris Haft of MLB.com reports that the Tampa Bay Rays are showing interest in San Francisco Giants reliever Hunter Strickland.
- According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Tampa Bay Rays have DFA’d righty Jumbo Diaz.
- Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that besides Todd Frazier, the Boston Red Sox are looking at Martin Prado, Jed Lowrie, Yangerivs Solarte, Josh Harrison, David Freese, T.J. Rivera, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Eduardo Nunez to fill the void at third base.