Prospect Watch: Top 30 Future Mariners
1. Felix Hernandez (18), RHP, San Antonio Missions
12-4, 2.96ERA, 124.2ip, 145K, 38BB, .235avg
Handling Double-A at age 18. What's the world coming to?
2. *Jeremy Reed (23), CF, Tacoma Rainiers
.288/.345/.444, 4HR, 25RBI, 5SB
Posting solid numbers with Tacoma since acquired six weeks ago. Will be a September call up.
3. *Shin-soo Choo (22), LF , San Antonio Missions
.310/.376/.462, 12HR, 7-3B, 71RBI, 28SB
Developing into a true five-tool talent. Sky is the limit.
4. Travis Blackley (21), LHP, Tacoma Rainiers
7-4, 3.61 ERA, 97.1ip, 70K, 38BB, .228avg
Trying to regain confidence, changeup in Triple-A.
5. Adam Jones (19), SS, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
.269/.319/.409, 10HR, 65RBI, 8SB
Passing test of the Midwest League both offensively and defensively.
6. Matt Tuiasosopo (18), SS, Everett AquaSox
.398/.459/.519, 5HR, 17RBI, 2SB
More natural ability than any recent draft pick.
7. **Jesus Guzman (20), 3B, Inland Empire 66ers
.296/.382/.416, 5HR, 51RBI, 10SB
Breakthrough season creates a dilema. Double-A at 20?
8. **Asdrubal Cabrera (18), SS, Everett AquaSox
.281/.330/..450, 4HR, 34RBI, 6SB
More polished than any 18-year-old since a guy named A-ROD. He was pretty good wasn't he?
9. Bobby Livingston (21), LHP, Inland Empire 66ers
10-4, 3.53ERA, 160.2ip, 126K, 27BB, .261avg
Steady season has the southpaw set for Double-A in 2005.
10. Ryan Rowland-Smith (21), LHP, Inland Empire 66ers
5-3, 3.82 ERA, 92ip, 106K, 28BB, .265avg
Away on Aussie Olympic Team, Rowland-Smith could return as 66ers best starting pitcher.
11. Yung-Chi Chen (21), 2B, Everett AquaSox
.297/.348/..430, 3HR, 29RBI, 22SB
After a month in the system, his return from the Olympics could be greeted with a promotion.
12. Wladimir Balentien (20), LF, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
.277/.315/.519, 15HR, 46RBI, 10SB
Consistent contact remains only weakness, while power potential is top drawer.
13. Michael Morse (22), SS, San Antonio Missions
.255/.310/.426, 5HR, 31RBI
Must hit well enough to warrant move to third, and stave off a switch to the outfield.
14. Rene Rivera (21), C, Inland Empire 66ers
.244/.302/.352, 5HR, 52RBI
Defense remains best tool but his bat must come around.
15. *Casey Craig (19), LF, Everett AquaSox
.310/.438/.484, 4HR, 28RBI, 14SB
Advanced hitting skills could prove worthy of a split 2005 season between Wisconsin and Inland Empire.
16. Shawn Nottingham (19), LHP, Everett AquaSox
7-1, 3.00ERA, 69ip, 63K, 20BB, .234avg
Continues to throw strikes and keep runners off base. Tough to lose that way.
17. *Chris Snelling (22), LF, Peoria Mariners
.313/.476/.500, 9 RBI
Starting to look like the Golden Aussie may never stay healthy enough to hold a roster spot.
18. Jon Nelson (24), LF, Inland Empire 66ers
.303/.351/.492, 16HR, 80RBI, 22SB
Could slide back to first base in 2005, but his bat has made nice progress with the stick this season.
19. Chris Colton (21), CF, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
.242/.317/.418, 12HR, 10-3B, 60RBI, 14SB
Needs to re-discover the stroke he displayed in May. That Chris Colton was a top 10 prospect.
20. Ryan Feierabend (18), LHP, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
9-6, 3.96ERA, 141ip, 96K, 40BB, .261avg
Not missing many bats this season but shows pitching wisdom beyond his years.
21. *Josh Womack (20), LF, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
.262/.314/.380, 5HR, 35RBI, 20SB
Ugh, the strikeouts. A 15% cut in whiffs, probably vaults Womack into top group of outfielders.
22. **Ismael Castro (21), 2B, Inland Empire 66ers
.303/.343/.500, 2HR, 10RBI
Before the knee injury, Castro was the top 2B prospect in the system. Should be ready for spring training in March.
23. Jamal Strong (26), CF, Tacoma Rainiers
.324/.421/..424, 3HR, 24RBI, 19SB
Season-ending knee surgery will keep Strong from the bigs. Injuries seem to be the only thing that can do so.
24. *Bryan LaHair (21), 1B, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
.305/.356/.480, 5HR, 26RBI
Showing good power in a pitcher's league should allow for a natural jump to the Cal League next season.
25. Erick Monzon (23), 2B, Inland Empire 66ers
.319/.360/.571, 6HR 14RBI, 4SB
Out of nowhere comes Monzon with all the extra-base hits and the unknown history. We'll see how long each last.
26. Rett Johnson (25), RHP, Inland Empire 66ers
0-0, 0.00ERA, 2ip, 3K, 3BB, .167avg
Just getting back into the swing of things. Should start getting stretched out soon.
27. *Greg Dobbs (26), 3B, Tacoma Rainiers
.307/.335/.449, 9HR, 56RBI, 8SB
As steady as they come, both with the bat and the glove.
28. Hunter Brown (24), 3B, San Antonio Missions
.284/.382/.430, 9HR, 45RBI, 16SB
Deserves to start 2005 in Triple-A Tacoma. Let's hope he doesn't get blocked.
29. Thomas Oldham (23), LHP, Inland Empire 66ers
8-7, 2.86ERA, 132.1ip, 154K, 34BB, .246avg
Challenging Felix for pitcher of the year honors. Promotion doesn't seem to be slowing him down either.
30. Cesar Jimenez (19), LHP, Inland Empire 66ers
6-5, 2.40ERA, 75ip, 67K, 17BB, 4svs, .234avg
Economical lefty reliever could move quickly through the system.
**Juan Gonzalez (22), 2B/SS, Inland Empire 66ers
*Greg Jacobs (26), RF, Tacoma Rainiers
Aaron Taylor (26), RHP, San Antonio Missions
**Brandon Green (23), 1B, Everett AquaSox
Jason Snyder (21), RHP, Everett AquaSox
*A.J. Zapp (26), 1B, Tacoma Rainiers
Mumba Rivera (23), RHP, Everett AquaSox
Michael Wilson (21), OF/DH, Everett AquaSox
Ryan Christianson (23), C/DH, Tacoma Rainiers
*Dan Santin (18), C, Peoria Mariners
Luis Soto (20), 1B, Peoria Mariners
John Austin-Emmons (18), OF, Peoria Mariners
**Joseph Jacobitz, OF, Peoria Mariners
T.A. Fulmer (24), RHP, San Antonio Missions
Aaron Jensen (20), RHP, Everett AquaSox
Brent Johnson (22), 3B/OF, Everett AquaSox
Comments, questions, and general feedback is welcome at JasonAChurchill@Hotmail.com
Seattle Clubhouse Top Stories
Mariners acquire Chris Heston from GiantsMariners reportedly have acquired Chris Heston from the Giants.
Hardball Scoop4:09 PM
Tribe Happenings: Why the time is nowThe Indians have seemingly done nothing but go after big name free agent bats at the winter meetings, and the IBI's Tony Lastoria explains why...
Indians Baseball Insider2:34 PM
A look at the free agent first base optionsThe Indians are in heavy pursuit of a first baseman this offseason. Here is a rundown of the options available to them and maybe a name or two not previously brought up...
Indians Baseball Insider12:45 PM
Mariners in talks with Mark TrumboThe Mariners have expressed interest in free agent Mark Trumbo.
Hardball ScoopYesterday at 5:43 PM