The Miami Marlins got their starting third baseman, Martin Prado, back from the disabled list on Monday. But the veteran who had been dealing with a hamstring injury left the game with a calf cramp.
"It feels great to have 'The Captain' back," Miami shortstop Miguel Rojas told MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro. "It's not just because of his bat or his glove, it's because of what he represents as a player in this clubhouse. I feel it's a great way to have him back, winning and having a good record already. And I'm sure he's ready to go and excited to be back in the lineup."
Prado was reinstated from the 10-day disabled list after being sidelined with a right hamstring strain suffered on March 15 while playing for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic. But in his first game back, Prado was removed in the bottom of the seventh inning because of a cramp in his calf.
The move, as explained by manager Don Mattingly, was a precautionary one. Prado went 1-for-3 with a single in his 2017 debut. He said prior to the game he was excited about finally getting a chance to play in a major league game. Prado was sent to Jupiter of High Class-A for a rehab assignment before joining the team in Seattle.
"I'm good," said Prado, who slashed .305/.359/.417 with eight home runs and 75 RBIs in 2016. "I tested it pretty good defensively and running around, so at this stage I can stop thinking about it and just go out there. One of the things I have to be on top of is just stretching and making sure that … I'm loose. But I'm ready to go."
With Prado's return comes a bit of a dilemma for the Marlins, who risked losing infield depth by designating right-handed-hitting first baseman Tyler Moore for assignment.