Mets Lose Nightcap 5-3 as Brewers Sweep

After getting nipped in the opener of their Thursday doubleheader against the Brewers at Shea Stadium, the Mets looked to ace Tom Glavine to right the ship and garner a split. From the beginning it was apparent that something was seriously wrong with Glavine as he struggled to survive the first inning. The Brewers scored four runs with two outs in the first, and added another run in the second, as Glavine was quickly knocked-out. Milwaukee went on to a 5-3 victory and a sweep of the double dip.

Glavine left the game with an elbow injury.

After witnessing the bombing of Steve Trachsel in the opener of the doubleheader (yielded four homeruns), the Mets badly needed the split. Glavine (5-6) retired Eric Young and Scott Podsednik, but the next seven Brewers reached base and before the dust was settled, Milwaukee had built a 4-0 lead. Brady Clark singled in one run, Keith Osik stroked a two-run double and following an intentional walk to Royce Clayton to load the bases, Glavine also walked winning pitcher Ben Sheets (6-4) to force in a run.

Glavine served up a double to Podsednik leading off the second. It was then that Manager Art Howe decided enough was enough. He replaced Glavine with rookie Pat Strange. Glavine had used an unbelievable 54 pitches to that point, but worse was the fact that his pitching elbow was inflamed. The Mets will have to determine how much time their ace will now miss with this injury.

Strange quickly surrendered the fifth Milwaukee run when Geoff Jenkins singled in Podsednik. He then went on to twirl four scoreless frames, as the Mets slowly got back into the contest.

Ty Wigginton hammered a two-run homerun off Sheets in fourth and the Mets narrowed the deficit to 5-2. It was Ty's fourth dinger of the season and second of the day. He has a lifetime batting average over .500 against the Brewers.

Sheets had a strong outing. He tossed seven innings, allowing six hits and only one walk. Wigginton touched Sheets again, when he singled in Raul Gonzalez in the fifth inning and get the Mets a run closer at 5-3, but they would not score again.

The New York relief pitching was outstanding. Following the stint by Strange, John Franco, David Weathers and closer Armando Benitez registered four more scoreless innings. The offense, however, would not co-operate, and Milwaukee prevented any further scoring.

Milwaukee closer Mike DeJean, who had made matters interesting in the opener, when Tony Clark hit a two-run pinch homer off him in the ninth inning, managed to silence the Mets in the final stanza of the recap. He recorded saves in both games, giving him 14 for the season.

The Mets now begin interleague play when they face the red hot Seattle Mariners in the opener of a weekend series Friday at Shea. Jae Seo (2-2), arguably the Mets best pitcher of the first half of the season, will face Ryan Franklin (4-3) in that game.

Amazin Clubhouse Top Stories