And now, for the Q&A session!
1. While at Santa Clara, in what areas did Jim Wallace improve the most?
Jim's leadership ability was the most noticeable thing I saw in him over the last two seasons. In my estimation, Jim was the heart and soul of the Bronco baseball program over his junior and senior seasons. His bat speed and approach at the plate also improved as he matured.
2. In what areas does Wallace need to continue to improve if he is to succeed and become a MLB player?
I think he needs to continue to build up his strength. He entered his senior year having broken a bone in his foot and a bone in his throwing wrist. He spent most of the year trying to get his strength and mobility back, and by the end of the year he had shown very good strides. If he continues to improve there, I think his bat is good enough to keep him progressing onward and upward.
3. Wallace had an excellent breakthrough season in 2002 (.330 BA, 12 doubles, 12 HR, 44 RBI, 38 runs). Was there an injury that led to a decline in his production as a senior?
There was a broken bone in his foot and in his throwing wrist that slowed him at the beginning. He missed all of fall ball because of it and spent the first few months of the season just getting back to his playing form of last year.
4. What was Jim Wallace's most outstanding moment for the Broncos?
I think it was a game-winning single against Pepperdine his junior year that gave SCU a series sweep of the Waves, capping off a great April in which he was named WCC Player of the Month.
5. What are Jim Wallace's best tools?
His discipline and leadership ability.
6. What sort of power projection does Jim Wallace possess, should he reach the major leagues?
I think he has a shot if he can continue to regain the strength he lost with the injuries prior to his senior season. He has a great head for the game and a very good bat.
Thanks again Associate Director Wahlstrom so very much on the behalf of NYMfansonly.com for participating in this e-mail question and answer session. And, again, congratulations on a very successful season.