Upon Licey's elimination from the Dominican Winter League post-season, Victor Marte was quickly snatched up by the Navigantes (Navigators) del Magallanes. He is expected to join them as soon as his visa is worked out.
Stats are through the games of December 26th.
Caribes de Anzoategui –
The Caribes went 3-1 with one postponement for the week.
- Ildemaro Vargas: Vargas went back into hibernation this week with no appearances.
Season-to-date: 18 G, 24 AB, 4 R, 6 H, 1 2B, 1 3B. 3 RBI, 2 BB, 3 SO, .250/.308/.375/.683, .286 BABIP
Tigres de Aragua –
Aragua lost all four contests.
- Jorge Rondon: Rondon did not appear in any of the Tigres' games for the period.
Season-to-date: 4.40 ERA/5.12 FIP, 18 G, 0 GS, 28.2 IP, 28 H, 17 R, 14 ER, 3 HR, 4 HB, 13 BB, 19 SO, 1.43 WHIP, .248 BAA, 272 BABIP, 3 IR/0 IRS
- Eduardo Sanchez: Sanchez protected a one-run lead on the 20th when he retired both batters faced via a fly out and ground out for the last two outs in the eighth. His replacement was charged with the blown save and a loss when he issued a free pass then served up a long ball that gave the opposition a walk-off victory. The right-hander was not as effective on Sunday where he took the loss, dropping his record to 3-2. He began the fourth with Aragua down 5-4 and limited his opponents to a single up the middle that came with one out. The Tigres took a 6-5 lead in the top of the fifth which Sanchez promptly gave right back via a solo shot to lead off his half of the fifth, his first slam yielded. A one-out triple followed by an RBI single left Aragua looking up again and saddled Sanchez with the loss. His weekly stat line: 13.50 ERA/8.70 FIP, 4 G, 0 GS, 2 IP, 4 H, 3 R/ER, 1 HR, 0 HB, 0 BB, 1 SO, 2.00 WHIP, .400 BAA, .375 BABIP, 0 IR/0 IRS
Season-to-date: 5.29 ERA/3.67 FIP, 16 G, 0 GS, 17 IP, 16 H, 11 R, 10 ER, 1 HR, 2 HB, 9 BB, 19 SO, 1.47 WHIP, .267 BAA, .357 BABIP
Cardenales de Lara –
Lara went 3-1 for the period.
- Richard Castillo: Castillo entered the fifth inning on Friday with the sacks jammed and one out. A free pass to the initial batter forced in a tally, cutting Lara's lead to 5-3, before the righty served up a grand slam. Castillo settled down to record the frame's last two outs on two fly outs. Lara went on to lose the contest 11-10 although Castillo did not figure in the decision. The 23-year-old bounced back with a better stint on Sunday. He was inserted into the sixth inning with one out and the tying run on second. A 4-3 ground out moved the runner to third where he was stranded when Castillo struck out the opposition's number two batter swinging. A line out to left kicked off the seventh before Castillo yielded a line-drive single to center. A wild pitch advanced the runner to second but his final batter faced fanned swinging. Castillo's replacement notched the last out to leave the runner at second. His stats for the week: 9.00 ERA/9.20 FIP, 2 G, 0 GS, 2 IP, 2 H. 2 R/ER, 1 HR, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1.73 WHIP, .250 BAA, .200 BABIP, 4 IR/3 IRS
Season-to-date: 4.50 ERA/5.34 FIP, 24 G, 0 GS, 22 IP, 26 H, 13 R, 11 ER, 2 HR, 1 HB, 12 BB, 12 SO, 1.73 WHIP, .286 BAA, .312 BABIP, 9 IR/3 IRS
- Deryk Hooker: On the 20th, Hooker held Aragua scoreless over 2.2 frames to keep Lara's deficit to two runs. The right-hander retired eight of the 10 batters faced, allowing a two-out base-on-balls in the sixth and a two-out single in the eighth that finished his stint. Hooker fanned three with four ground outs and no fly outs. Hooker entered a tie game on Saturday with the go-ahead run at first. The righty made things interesting when he gave up a single and a wild pitch that put two in scoring position. Hooker struck out La Guaira's number two batter looking to wiggle out of the mess. He allowed a single to begin the sixth before recording his final out via a fly out to right. His line for the week: 0.00 ERA/1.70 FIP, 2 G, 0 GS, 3.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R/ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 1 WP, 1.20 WHIP, .231 BAA, .333 BABIP, 1 IR/0 IRS
Prior to this week: 0.00 ERA/4.06 FIP, 2 G, 0 GS, 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R/ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 1.29 WHIP, .125 BAA, .167 BABIP, 3 IR/2 IRS
Bravos de Margarita –
Margarita won one and lost three with one postponed.
- Silfredo Garcia: Garcia has been shut down for the balance of the season as of December 19th. His last appearance came on the 13th.
Season: 2.25 ERA/3.50 FIP, 20 G, 0 GS, 20 IP, 21 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 1 HR, 0 HB, 5 BB, 11 SO, 1.30 WHIP, .273 BAA, .308 BABIP
Upon further consideration, the decision has been made to do a season-in-review of both the Venezuelan and Venezuelan Parallel Leagues upon completion of the former league's season.
Related article: Part one of this report covered Cardinals prospects' results the past week in the Australia, the Dominican, Mexico and Puerto Rico.
© 2012 The Cardinal Nation, thecardinalnation.com and stlcardinals.scout.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.