Sam Kimmel, C- Selected 552nd overall (18th Round)
1) What were you doing when you heard you were drafted?
I was actually getting ready to go to the gym and one of my friends called me and said that I was taken by the Orioles. I didn't really believe him at first because when I was drafted last year (35th round by the Reds), they called me first and told me they were going to take me. So I looked online and saw that it was true.
2) So once you found out that you had in fact been selected, what was it like being selected by the Orioles?
It is part of a dream come true (because I want to make it to the big leagues). The Orioles are a really good organization.
3) Talk about your game a little bit. What type of player are you defensively?
I played shortstop two years ago. My last year of junior college I moved to catcher and I actually signed to go to Stetson as a middle infielder and they lost their catcher to the draft last year and it was a perfect situation, and I just took his spot. I am actually pretty speedy. I batted leadoff towards the end of this year. This was only my second full year playing catcher. I love throwing runners out. I like taking control of the at bat.
4) What are some things you need to work on defensively?
Probably my blocking. That is something that you just need to work on over time.
5) What are some of your strengths offensively?
I like to drag bunt which is kind of weird coming from a catcher. I feel like I am able to do that and the corner infielders will move in and I can drive it right by them. I like to keep it in the gaps. I definitely like to steal bases. I hope they (Orioles) will let me run.
6)Were you expecting to be drafted by the Orioles or were you surprised they selected you?
I was a little surprised it was the Orioles. I didn't have a lot of contact with them. I did have some contact with area scout, but not as much as other teams.
7)Who was your favorite team and player growing up?
8) Do you anticipate staying at catcher or being moved?
The Orioles said they like me as catcher, but also told me to bring my infielders glove.
9) What are your immediate plans now that you have been drafted by the Orioles? Is it your intention to sign now and start your professional career immediately?
It has always been my dream to play professional baseball. I hope things get taken care of soon and I can start working.