- It appears that J.P. Crawford has seen the last of Reading, PA. The 21-year old, who is the top prospect in the Phillies organization, moved a step closer to the majors when the Phillies moved him to Triple-A Lehigh Valley Friday morning. Crawford hit 3-13-.265/.398/.390 in 36 games with the Fightins this season. Crawford was immediately inserted into the number-two hole with the IronPigs in Friday night's game against Toledo.
- Dylan Cozens was named the Phillies Minor League Review Player of the Week for May 9-15. Cozens hit .385 (10-for-26) with six runs scored, two doubles, three home runs, four RBI, three walks and two stolen bases. Cozens stands tied for the top spot in the Eastern League in home runs with 10 and games played with 39. He is alone in first in slugging percentage (.557), first in extra-base hits (21) and total bases with 83.
- In April, Roman Quinn hit just .233 in 20 games. Since the calendar flipped, the Reading center fielder is hitting .291 and has an on-base percentage of .426. When he's leading off an inning, Quinn is batting .392 with a .475 on-base percentage. On the season, Quinn is now batting 1-8-.255/.348/.369 for Reading.
- Starter Ben Lively picked up his second Eastern League Pitcher of the Week honor for May 9-15. He was also given the Phillies Minor League Review Player of the Week for the same period. Find out more about Lively's big week. With Alec Asher going on the DL at Lehigh Valley, it was thought that Lively may get moved to the IronPigs, but word out of Allentown is that Asher will likely miss just one turn and manager Dave Brundage may go with a bullpen game.
- Fellow starter Nick Pivetta has been a pleasant surprise for Reading this season. Pivetta, 23, is 4-2, with a 3.27 ERA in eight starts this season. Pivetta was a combined 9-8 with a 3.96 ERA between High-A Potomac, Double-A Harrisburg and Reading last season and struggled to a 2-2 record and a 7.31 ERA in seven starts for Reading. The Phillies acquired Pivetta in the trade with the Washington Nationals that sent reliever Jonathan Papelbon to the Nats.
NEWS AND NOTES:
Reading ranks first in the Eastern League in home runs (39) and RBI (199). The pitching staff is fourth in saves with 11, second in walks (123) and tied for sixth in strikeouts with 286 coming into play on Friday... Reading is 13-6 at home and 13-8 on the road.
TRANSACTIONS (since May 12)
- May 20 - J.P. Crawford promoted to Lehigh Valley.
- May 20 - RHP Reinier Roibal reassigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley.
- May 18 - LHP Mario Hollands joined Reading on a rehab assignment.
- May 17 - RHP Michael Mariot had rehab assignment moved from Reading to Lehigh Valley.
- May 16 - C Joel Fisher reassigned to Reading from extended camp.
- May 16 - C Logan Moore promoted to Lehigh Valley.
- May 16 - RHP Yacksel Rios reassigned from Reading to Clearwater.
- May 16 - LHP Joely Rodriguez promoted to Reading from Clearwater.
STANDINGS (Through May 19)
- May 20 vs Trenton (John Richy 0-1, 6.91)
- May 21 vs Trenton (Ben Lively 6-0, 1.53)
- May 22 vs Trenton (Nick Pivetta 4-2, 3.27)
- May 23 vs Erie (Ricardo Pinto 1-1, 3.97)
- May 24 vs Erie (Anthony Vasquez 6-2, 1.82)
- May 25 vs Erie (John Richy 0-1, 6.91)