1. Blake Beavan (RHP, Clinton) – You could make the case that Blake Beavan is basically toying with the rest of the Midwest League. Friday, he held Wisconsin to a six-frame shutout that included eight strikeouts and just three measly singles. The righty has posted a stellar 0.90 ERA over his last two starts (both victories), racked up 14 strikeouts, and owns a 1.29 ERA over his last ten.
2. Chris Shelton (1B, Oklahoma) – Shelton has been on quite the tear as of late, clubbing over .400 over his last ten ballgames, with two homers and nine driven in. The highlight of his past two weeks of action – the slugging first baseman barely missed hitting for the cycle last Monday in a 13-7 victory over Tucson.
3. Eric Fry (OF, Spokane) – How will Eric Fry celebrate his 21st birthday this weekend? We can only guess. But the outfielder's bat is another reason to celebrate: His .328 average is second on the team (behind fellow outfielder Joey Butler) and he's racked up multi-hit performances in seven of his last 10 ballgames. He's also batting .410 (17-for-41) over that same stretch of action.
4. Chad Tracy (OF, Frisco) – Tracy finds himself immersed in the best two months of his professional career. Before getting a bump up to Double-A, the outfielder had a huge night on August 6th in hitter-friend Lancaster, cracking a two-run shot in the 7th, doubled and singled. He's hitting at a .415 clip (17-for-41) over his last ten meetings.
5. Wilfredo Boscan (RHP, Spokane) – It was a commendable bit of pitching over the last two weeks for the 18-year old Boscan. He held Yakima to a run on four hits over four innings of work on August 2nd, and stymied Vancouver for five innings in his next start, allowing only three hits with five strikeouts. His performances upped his record on year to a sparkling 7-0 with a 2.23 earned run average.
6. Nate Gold (1B, Oklahoma) – On Friday night in Albuquerque, Gold connected on his 21st homerun as past of a 3-for-4 evening. Another player who's swinging a hot bat lately, Gold's .325 (14-for-40) average over his last 10 ballgames has helped boost his average up to .251 on the season – a far cry from the mid .220's where he resided for most of the season.
7. Pedro Borbon (OF, Frisco) – Borbon finds himself all caught up in a ten game hit-streak for the 'Riders. During this hot stretch, the centerfield has compiled a .348 (16-for-46) average, scored 12 runs, and collected a couple of homers.
8. Ryan Roberts (3B, Oklahoma) – Roberts's hot bat earned a brief call-up to the major leagues a week ago. He finds himself the owner of an admirable .378 (14-for-37) average in his last 10 games, with three triples and 10 runs batted in.
9. Neftali Feliz (RHP, Frisco) – Feliz has been on a short leash for the Roughriders, not lasting longer than four innings in any of his past three starts. But he's been very effective during that time, allowing just two and fanning 15 batters over his last 10.1 innings.
10. John Whittleman (3B, Bakersfield) – The resident of Bakersfield's hot corner has been red hot over the last week of action, clubbing .444 (12-for-28). Although he hasn't homered and only has three runs batted in, he's strung together multi-hit affairs in five of those contests.
2. Ian Gac (1B, Bakersfield) – It was the best of times, it was the worst of times for Bakersfield's Ian Gac. A heavy-hitter in Clinton, Gac's numbers have slowed down since joining High-A, and Gac has just six hits in his last 37 at-bats – a .162 average.
3. Evan Reed (RHP, Bakersfield) – Reed took a beating his last time out, allowing seven runs on nine hits in 5.1 innings against Lancaster. His earned run average is a disconcerting 6.58 over his last 10 starts.