- Drew Pomeranz regained velocity on his fastball during nine starts at Triple-A Colorado Springs, where he had a 2.51 ERA. He held the San Diego Padres to one unearned run in six innings in his return to the majors and he'll start against Stephen Strasburg at Nationals Park tonight.
- The Rockies have a major league worst 7-21 record in the last 28 games. Entering play Friday, Colorado is tied with Chicago (31-51) for the worst record in all of baseball. The march towards the number one selection in the 2013 MLB Draft has officially begun.
- Tyler Colvin has been on fire for the better part of a month. Over the last 28 days, Colvin has a .351/.392/.824 line with 8 HR and 24 RBI in 20 games. The Rockies had a couple blunder trades this offseason, but getting Colvin and D.J. LeMahieu for Ian Stewart and Casey Weathers certainly isn't one of them.
- Carlos Gonzalez and Todd Helton are tied for 2nd all-time in Rockies history in adjusted-OPS (OPS+). The pair are tied at 135, Larry Walker is still the all-time franchise leader. Gonzalez' 149 OPS+ this season doesn't crack the top ten single seasons in OPS+.
- Dexter Fowler is one triple shy of his fourth double digit triples season and tying Neifi Perez for the all-time franchise lead.
- Ramon Hernandez caught five innings on a rehab assignment on Wednesday and is nearing a return. He will see a reduction in playing time as Wilin Rosario will remain the starting catcher.
- With the trade deadline getting closer by the day, the Rockies will look to move players they don't see in their future. The problem at the moment is that many of the Rockies veterans aren't performing up to their standards. Jason Giambi made the most of his opportunities last year, slugging .603 in 152 plate appearances. This year, he has one home run in 94 trips to the plate. Marco Scutaro has had a down year in the field and at the plate (82 OPS+, 109 last year), but could still draw interest from a team desperate for a second basemen or shortstop. Michael Cuddyer has been perfectly average (100 OPS+), but his contract is well above average and the Rockies don't seem to be shopping him or willing to take a middling return.
- Will Swanner has hit a home run in three of his last six games in Single-A Asheville.
Rockies Notes: Pomeranz in the rotation
Rockies Digest Top Stories
MLB Trade Ideas, Week 14In HardballScoop.com’s weekly installment of our MLB Trade Ideas weekly column, Carmine DiPalma will be offering trade proposals that make sense for both teams based off of recent…
Hardball Scoop11:36 AM
Smoke Signals - League Digest 1.11When Memorial Day rolls around, fans can oftentimes start seriously looking at the standings and find out just where their favorite clubs sit in the early playoff chase. For…
Indians Baseball Insider8:20 AM
Fantasy Baseball: Week 8 N.L. Closer ReportLooking for saves in your Fantasy Baseball league? Shawn Childs reveals his Week 8 National League Closer Report!
Scout FantasyWednesday at 12:40 PM
New York Mets Injury UpdateThe New York Mets have suffered a serious case of the injury bug, and it only get's worse with Jose Reyes the latest to get injured.
Amazin ClubhouseTuesday at 12:07 PM
Fantasy Baseball: Week 8 Injury ReportSenior Fantasy Baseball Expert Adam Ronis runs through all the injuries plaguing Major League Baseball and Fantasy owners!
Scout FantasyTuesday at 11:18 AM