- In Double-A action, the Tulsa Drillers defeated the Northwest Arkansas Naturals 8-2. Tyler Chatwood was the winning pitcher for the Drillers. Former 2009 4th round pick Kent Matthes went deep for his 15th home run. Matthes destroyed High-A last season, but the 25-year-old is struggling at Tulsa with a .213/.271/.422 line.
- The Rockies top prospect Nolan Arenado had an RBI double in the game, he went 1-for-5 and is now down to hitting .261/.322/.376 for the season. Arenado needs all the hits he can get at this point as he's in a 11-for-79 (.139) slump in July.
- Corey Dickerson missed the game after being hit in the nose by a pitch Monday night.
- The Modesto Nuts beat High Desert 4-2. Former 2010 first round pick Kyle Parker slammed his 11th home run of the season. Parker is crushing it to the tune of a .323/.430/.502 line.
- On the big league side of things, Jason Giambi was put on the disabled list with a viral infection. The Rockies called up pitcher Edwar Cabrera, a changeup specialist who lost his second big league start Tuesday night. Cabrera battled, but his control issues (four walks) were once again his undoing.
- The top three hitters in the Rockies order last night (Dexter Fowler, Marco Scutaro, and Carlos Gonzalez) went a combined 0-for-12 with zero walks in the game. Not very often that you see that. Some base runners would've come in handy as cleanup hitter Michael Cuddyer went deep twice with both coming as solo shots.
- Josh Rutledge also went 0-for-3, but he's still hitting .341 on the season and given how Scutaro is hitting .213 with one double in July it would be wise to move Rutledge into the number two spot for now.
- Troy Tulowitzki continues to insist he'll return sometime in August, but it's difficult to take him at his word considering he hasn't even picked up a bat yet.
Rockies Notes 7/25
Rockies Digest Top Stories
Red Sox Sign Kyle Kendrick to Minors DealPitcher Kyle Kendrick and the Boston Red Sox have agreed to a minor league deal for the upcoming 2017 season.
Hardball ScoopYesterday at 9:58 AM
Top 100 Stadium Experiences of 2016In 2016, the writers at Stadium Journey reviewed 761 different stadium experiences. We renewed our love for many of the venues that have consistently been on our best stadiums list…
Stadium JourneyMonday at 5:47 AM
Rockies, Nolan Arenado Agree on Two-Year DealThe Colorado Rockies and superstar Nolan Arenado avoid arbitration, settle on a two-year deal.
Rays Settle with Dickerson, Three OthersTampa Bay is able to come to an agreement with Xavier Cedeno, Kevin Kiermaier, Tim Beckham and Corey Dickerson.