- In Double-A action, the Tulsa Drillers defeated the Northwest Arkansas Naturals 8-2. Tyler Chatwood was the winning pitcher for the Drillers. Former 2009 4th round pick Kent Matthes went deep for his 15th home run. Matthes destroyed High-A last season, but the 25-year-old is struggling at Tulsa with a .213/.271/.422 line.
- The Rockies top prospect Nolan Arenado had an RBI double in the game, he went 1-for-5 and is now down to hitting .261/.322/.376 for the season. Arenado needs all the hits he can get at this point as he's in a 11-for-79 (.139) slump in July.
- Corey Dickerson missed the game after being hit in the nose by a pitch Monday night.
- The Modesto Nuts beat High Desert 4-2. Former 2010 first round pick Kyle Parker slammed his 11th home run of the season. Parker is crushing it to the tune of a .323/.430/.502 line.
- On the big league side of things, Jason Giambi was put on the disabled list with a viral infection. The Rockies called up pitcher Edwar Cabrera, a changeup specialist who lost his second big league start Tuesday night. Cabrera battled, but his control issues (four walks) were once again his undoing.
- The top three hitters in the Rockies order last night (Dexter Fowler, Marco Scutaro, and Carlos Gonzalez) went a combined 0-for-12 with zero walks in the game. Not very often that you see that. Some base runners would've come in handy as cleanup hitter Michael Cuddyer went deep twice with both coming as solo shots.
- Josh Rutledge also went 0-for-3, but he's still hitting .341 on the season and given how Scutaro is hitting .213 with one double in July it would be wise to move Rutledge into the number two spot for now.
- Troy Tulowitzki continues to insist he'll return sometime in August, but it's difficult to take him at his word considering he hasn't even picked up a bat yet.
Rockies Notes 7/25
Rockies Digest Top Stories
New York Mets Injury UpdateThe New York Mets have suffered a serious case of the injury bug, and it only get's worse with Jose Reyes the latest to get injured.
Amazin ClubhouseYesterday at 12:07 PM
Fantasy Baseball: Week 8 Injury ReportSenior Fantasy Baseball Expert Adam Ronis runs through all the injuries plaguing Major League Baseball and Fantasy owners!
Scout FantasyYesterday at 11:18 AM
Fantasy Baseball: Week 8 Two-Start PitchersSenior Fantasy Baseball Expert Adam Ronis examines the starting pitchers slated to hit the mound twice in Week 8 of the MLB season.
Scout FantasySaturday at 12:00 PM
Dealing with Injuries: A Four-Step PlanInjuries are a part of the game, both on the field and for Fantasy owners. How you deal with them can be the difference between a minor setback and a catastrophe. Dr. Roto teaches…
Scout FantasyFriday at 1:10 PM