Austin Is Fine

Tyler Austin continued his 2014 second-half surge with a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League. He and the Yankees got a bit of a scare last Saturday, however, when the talented outfielder was carted off the field with what initially looked like a very serious knee injury. He says he is fine now though and ready to get rolling next season.

He was hitting a solid .304 with a pair of home runs and twelve walks through his first 19 games with the Scottsdale Scorpions when Austin, who has battled his fair share of injuries the previous two seasons, got the scare of a lifetime.

"It was a pop fly down the left field line," he recounted. "I looked up, I was running after it, and I didn't realize there was that little foul ground out there in Glendale where we were playing.

"I slid to catch the ball but when I slid I was already right on top of the wall so I hit the pole where the cement wall and the chain link fence met each other. As soon as it happened I was sure it was serious."

Injuring his knee and writhing in pain, he was immediately carted off of the field. He couldn't put any weight on the knee at all and one couldn't blame him if his mind began imagining the worst case scenarios.

"The next day I was walking a little bit, not much," he revealed. "They had me using crutches but I walked around the house a little bit. It was still painful but I guess when I could walk without any pain was on Wednesday."

He flew back to Tampa to get a series of tests and it turned out to be a simple bone bruise. To say he and the Yankees were relieved would be an understatement.

"It's good, it's just a bone bruise so there's nothing to be worried about. I was worried about it [initially]. When I hit the wall it scared me more than anything and it was pretty painful.

"I couldn't really walk on it but everything's fine now that I found I have a bone bruise. Everything's good. Thank the Lord it wasn't anything more serious than it is."

Still down in Tampa, the plan is to for him remain there for a couple of weeks to rest before he's cleared to resume baseball activities.

"I'm just resting right now. They don't want me running or anything right now. They want to make sure I get healed before I start doing anything like that."

While he is beyond happy that the injury proved to be nothing too serious there is another part of him that would have liked to finish his stint in the Arizona Fall League, especially after having to leave the AFL prematurely a year ago too.

"You know it was disappointing," he admitted. "I felt like I was doing well out there. I was happy with the way things were going. I was doing good on the bases, at the plate, defensively. I'm not going to change the way I play though.

"I pride myself on how I do play -- I play hard and give it 110 percent every time so these things happen when you give it everything you've got and that's what I did. Unfortunately this injury happened and I got shut down."

Still, he is thankful for the experience he had out in Arizona and he's even more thankful that the injury wasn't worse. In fact, with everything he has been through he says he is ready to get back out on the field again.

"Everything's fine. I'm ready to get things rolling again actually," he concluded.

Pinstripes Plus Top Stories