Gamer-A Wild Doubleheader

The Trenton Thunder split a double-header with the Norwich Navigators, winning Game One by a score of 6-5 and dropping Game Two by a score of 9-4.

The Thunder looked shaky in Game One. Making three errors on consecutive plays in the sixth that led to two Norwich runs to give the Navigators a 5-2 lead at that point. The Navigator lead looked secure until Mitch Jones clubbed his 32nd home run of the year. The three run homer by Jones tied the game at five and pushed the game into extra innings. The Thunder won the game in the bottom of the ninth on a sacrifice fly to give the Thunder a come from behind 6-5 win.

The play in this game that was downright scary though was in the bottom of the fifth inning. Teuris Olivares led off the inning with a shallow fly ball to right field that resulted in a triple for Olivares. On the play Navigator right fielder Daniel Ortmeier and second baseman Jay Pecci collided and both players laid motionless on the field for several minutes. Both players left the field on stretchers and were taken to nearby Capital Health System's FULD campus in North Trenton for tests as a precautionary measure. Play resumed after a 23 minute delay because of the severity of the collision. Daniel Ortmeier was released from the hospital shortly after 11 PM and returned to Waterfront Park before the end of Game Two while Jay Pecci was admitted overnight for observation. According to Ortmeier, both players were diagnosed with concussions and that Pecci is OK despite his being held overnight at the hospitals.

Dave Elder (1-1) got the win for the Thunder in Game One, pitching two scoreless innings and Alberto Montes took the loss for Norwich, falling to 6-5 on the year.

In Game Two, Rik Currier got the start for the Thunder and pitched well despite getting tagged with the loss. David Shepard came on behind Currier and struggled giving up three runs in his two-thirds innings pitched. According to Currier, "I gave the club a chance to win." The Thunder offense managed only two hits until the seventh inning when they put four runs on the board with the game out of hand at 9-1. Thunder manager Stump Merrill commented after the game that, "both games showed the team has some deficiencies and hopefully they don't hurt us at the wrong time." The double-header was marked by wildly inconsistent play by the

Matt Palmer got the win for Norwich , improving to 4-7 on the season. Palmer pitched well for Norwich allowing only one run in his five innings of work.

Pinstripes Plus Top Stories