We're going to examine what went right for the Magic on this night.
1. Three point shooting- Orlando was on fire all night long from behind the arc. The Magic finished 13-20 from three-point land for 65%, and Rashard Lewis, Maurice Evans, and Keith Bogans hit a combined 11 of 13 three's.
2. Great defense- The Magic held Detroit to just 38.6% from the field (32-83), and just 2-14 from behind the three-point line. Nearly every shot was challenged by Orlando and they looked like the superior defensive team on this night.
3. Bogans off the bench- Keith Bogans contributed in a big way as he scored 19 points on 6-8 shooting, and played solid defense on Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton. Definitely one of Bogans best games in a Magic uniform.
4. Rashard was worth the money- Lewis led the team with 20 points on 8-10 shooting, and he also grabbed 4 rebounds and dished out 4 assists. Lewis couldn't be stopped by any of the Detroit defenders, and when the Magic needed a big shot, Lewis obliged.
5. Point guard play- The combination of Jameer Nelson and Keyon Dooling outplayed Pistons All-Star Chauncey Billups all night long, and that was one of the differences in the blowout.
6. Bench play- The Orlando bench hung with the Detroit reserves, especially in a key time in the second quarter when Orlando was down seven points. Their solid play allowed the Magic starters to get significant rest and outplay the Pistons starters.
7. Free throw shooting- Orlando hit 18 of 23 free throws on the night for 78.3%. Nice job of not leaving very many points on the court.
Charlie Bernstein is the Editor-in-Chief of MagicIllustrated.com, and a regular syndicated contributor to FoxSports.com, Sirius Radio, MySpace Sports and Sportsillustrated.com. Charlie is also a columnist for the New Smyrna Observer. Feel free to contact him -HERE- with questions or comments.
For more, go to: MagicIllustrated.com
Magic at Pistons: What Went Right
Magic Illustrated Top Stories
A Pricy Plan That Works: Mike Conley To MavsAt first blush, not everybody inside Mavs HQ views Mike Conley as the ideal max-money big fish. But at second blush? 'PG Mike Conley To Mavs' is a pricy, primary plan that works.…
Dallas BasketballYesterday at 5:45 AM
Cavs want to take Game 5 to Game 6The Cavaliers want to use the same energy and intensity they showed in Game 5 to close out the Eastern Conference Finals in Game 6.
Wine and Gold ReportWednesday at 10:28 PM
How Kevin Love's Game 5 came to beThe events leading up to tipoff in Game 5 set up Kevin Love for his big performance on Wednesday night.
Wine and Gold ReportWednesday at 10:19 PM
Mavs Pain/Patience: Wildly Successful SummerMavs Pain + Patience: The Need For A Wildly Successful Summer - Times Two
Dallas BasketballSaturday at 7:40 AM
Winning isn't easy for CavsThe Cavaliers have won ten consecutive playoff games amidst this 2016 postseason, but it hasn't been as easy as it's looked.
Wine and Gold Report05/19/2016