Denver Nuggets at Dallas Mavericks 7:30 p.m. Monday
|NUGGETS 0-0||MAVS 0-1|
|F- Danilo Gallinari||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Nene||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- Timofey Mozgov||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Arron Afflalo||G- Vince Carter|
|G- Ty Lawson||G- Jason Kidd|
• Very athletic team that is best when in transition. Lawson one of the fastest guards in the league. Could be an issue for Dallas backcourt of Kidd and Carter (if Carter remains a starter). Watch Lawson illustrate his quickness as a defender, creator and passer - all in one quick sequence:
• In the half-court will run a lot of high ball screens with Mozgov/Anderson and Lawson. Will spot shooters in the corner for kick outs.
• Could be a very good offensive rebounding team with Anderson, Nene and the rookie out of Morehead State, Kenneth Faried.
• Halfcourt sets primarily consist of down screens and staggered screens for Afflalo.
• High-volume offensive team when it comes to possessions. Top 5 in the NBA for a number of years based on Coach Karl's style of up tempo philosophy
• Will play a man defense with good on-ball play from the guards
• Post players do not deny entry pass, playing behind their man, but makes them good helpside defenders.
• Gamble a lot on point to wing passes, trying to get in passing lanes to get out on break.
• Tendency to lose focus the deeper the possession gets in the shot clock. That can allow Dallas good first opportunities, and second opportunities ...
3 Quickie Keys On How to Beat the Nuggets:
• Defensive transition. Get back and make the Nuggets play in the half-court.
• Limit transition from Lawson.
• Make the Nuggets defend
Injury issue: Shawn Marion plans on playing despite having re-broken his pinky finger.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.