Dallas Mavericks at Spurs, 7 p.m. pregame on FSSW with Fish, Ortegel and Dana Larson, 730 tip
|SPURS 4-2||MAVS 3-4|
|F- Richard Jefferson||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Tim Duncan||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- DeJuan Blair||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- James Anderson||G- Delonte West|
|G- Tony Parker||G- Jason Kidd|
• With Ginobli out (broken hand), their leading scorer at 17+/game, their obviously lose some firepower and will look for Parker and Duncan, averaging only 11+/game, to pick up slack.
• Parker will trigger much of the offense. They still like a lot of DRAG (high pick) in early offense. Will use Duncan, who can pop for mid-range and Blair/Splitter who will primarily roll to hoop. Jefferson, the best 3-point shooter will spot up in corner. He really likes the left-hand corner.
• Have a set where they will enter ball to wing then set a staggered screen away for Jefferson/Anderson.
• One of their favorite set is a basic wing entry, then a guard/post cross screen on the block. Then a forward will down screen the original screener (guard) who will cut to FT line area for jumper.
• They use a set of running Parker off baseline screens on the block as the ball us reversed.
• They are still a VERY effective offensive team when they move and share the ball.
• Not a great defensive transition team, especially with Blair and Duncan on the floor.
• Their 2/3 (wings) are athletic but can be beat off the dribble
• Will go over high picks, especially if the screener is more of a popper than roller.
• Will play behind post defensively when they do not perceive a scoring threat.
• Still a fundamental defensive team that will make not take chances and make you work for good shots in the half-court.
• Spurs are 7th in the league in scoring at 99.0/gm.
• Spurs are 5th in the league in assist at 22.8/gm. Parker is 10th individually averaging 7.0/gm.
How to Beat the Spurs:
• Push the ball and beat them back. They are much easier to score on in transition than in the half-court.
• Control Parker and make him work on the defensive end.
• Make Jefferson put ball on floor, take away jump shot.
• Get to their bench. Even when Ginonbli was healthy, they only average 29 points off the bench. Dallas averages 45, use that to Mavs advantage.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.