Dallas Mavericks at Detroit tonight, 6 p.m. MAVS LIVE with Coach O, Emily Jones and Fish ...
|PISTONS 2-7||MAVS 4-5|
|F- Tayshaun Prince||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Jonas Jerebko||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- Greg Monroe||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Ben Gordon||G- Vince Carter|
|G- Brandon Knight||G- Delonte West|
• This is a team that struggles to score the ball as reflected by their 30th ranking in team scoring. Gordon, though, is effective at finding ways to work himself free on the perimeter for jumpers:
• Have been blown out on the road the last two games averaging 70.5 ppg.
• Will run a lot of hi pick/roll with Monroe and Knight/Bynum.
• Monroe has the ability to catch the ball at the elbow and put in on the floor. Equally as effective going left or right.
• Do not get good scoring off the bench. Dallas' bench is a bit thinner, too, with Kidd (back) not playing.
• Can beat their guards off the dribble.
• Post will play behind post players.
• On hi pick/rolls, they will trap the ball and rotate when screener is a roller.
• Transition defense is weak with the bigs struggling to get back. Detroit needs more of this sort of effort, displayed by Monroe:
• Help side defense is slow to rotate. Getting the ball reversed can lead to open shots and weak side cutters.
• Pistons are 30th in NBA in scoring at 82.44/gm and 29th in scoring differential at -11.78.
• Pistons allow the 3rd most assist per game, 23.6.
• Pistons are 28th in NBA in rebounding at 38.5/gm.
How to Beat the Pistons:
• Push the ball – Bigs get out and run and fill a lane.
• Good help on drives. Rotate effectively on kick outs
• SOLID on defensive end, do not give up cheap baskets, make them earn every possession.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.