Dallas Mavericks at Los Angeles Lakers, 930 pm at Staples Center
|LAKERS 9-5||MAVS 8-5|
|F- Matt Barnes||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Pau Gasol||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- Andrew Bynum||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Kobe Bryant||G- Delonte West|
|G- Derek Fisher||G- Jason Kidd|
• Very long team that will squeeze the paint and make it tough to get shots inside in the halfcourt.
• Will gamble (Kobe, Barnes) at times on ball reversals and get out of position.
• This is a team that relies on solid half-court defense and the stats bear out that they do a good job defending.
• Will show/recover on ball screens and post will let you catch it then defend with their size as an advantage.
• Like to get Gasol isolated on block:
• Under Mike Brown, have done away with most of the Triangle offense although they still run some of the basic options including the side pick/roll.
• Using a 1-4(UCLA) set now as well which also gets them into side pick/roll looks as well as staggered pin down screens for Kobe to come off of.
• Gasol like the high-post area. He also will trail and shoot jumper in transition as well as pick/pop on mid ball screens.
• With Bynum healthy they have a potent post game both by sets and offensive rebounding.
• Not a good 3pt shooting team.
• Kobe Bryant dominates the ball and will back man down for post-up ... and he'll look for the foul in traffic:
• Lakers are 5th in NBA in Points Allowed at 90.8 ppg.
• 4th in Opp. FG% at .413.
• 30th in 3pt FG % at 25.7
• 5th in Assist at 22.5 apg.
• 2nd in Rebounding at 45.7 and Reb. Margin at +5.8
• 29th in Steals at 5.7 spg.
How to Beat the Lakers:
• SOLID TEAM defense. Do not get totally caught up on stopping Kobe. When you do they have others that will hurt you.
• Be patient and find mismatches offensively.
• Get out in transition when possible. Easy baskets are key because they will make it difficult in the half court.
• Most importantly, REBOUND with them. Must be tenacious on glass at both ends. Dirk Nowitzki can help in this department.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.