DONUT 1: The Dallas Mavericks are 8-6, in the midst of a demanding roadie and could use a break right now ... and this is as good as they're gonna get:
Tonight is the third game of three nights in a row for the Clippers, and Chris Paul (along with Mo Williams) may be unable to go. If that is so, note that the Clippers only get 12 points per game from what would be their available bench players.
Paul (hamstring) sat out last night's 108-79 loss to the Jazz. He's day-to-day. Williams (foot) seems certain to miss. Chauncey Billups is said to be playing with a sore back.
Clips coach Vinny Del Negro on CP3: "We want to be smart about it. We want him out there as soon as possible, but we also know that there is a lot of games and a long season."
The Mavs have an injury concern, too, as Vince Carter (foot) is out. That, the use of the zone against LAC's athleticism, your chance to win tickets to DB.com Mavs Suite Night ... We've got all the goods -- the notes, the quotes, the analysis, the video, the laughs, the insight -- right here on DB.com.
DONUT 2: Let's get to tonight: Dallas Mavericks at Clippers, 9 p.m. MAVS LIVE on Fox Sports Southwest with Coach O, Dana and Fish ... stay up late and along with Followill and Harper, we will guide you through the evening!
DONUT 3: The starting lineups, and NBA scouting info from Kyle Leath ...
|CLIPPERS 7-4||MAVS 8-6|
|F- Caron Butler||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Blake Griffin||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- DeAndre Jordan||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Randy Foye||G- Delonte West|
|G- Chauncey Billups||G- Jason Kidd|
DONUT 4: DB.com cannot do our thing without the help of sponsors and partners like MavCowTickets, Esparza's Restaurant , Classic of Carrollton, Game Havens and McKinneyDentist.com . Give our guys a click, if you please!
DONUT 5: A look at the Clippers Offense:
• When Paul plays they will look to push ball more than if he doesn't.
• Like to run Hi/Lo post looks with Griffin at Hi Post. Will also get ball reversed a post Butler.
• Mid pick/roll with PG and Griffin.
• Will run a 1-4 set with UCLA cut by PG and staggered screen for weak side guard.
• Any time a post has the ball on the block, their weak side players do a good job of flashing to the lane.
• Versus zone they will run a three-guard look with Griffin at Hi Post and Jordan low. Will sometimes run weak side guard through to corner to over load a side. Like most teams, not a good at ball movement vs. Zones. As well as Dallas plays zone, could be a factor.
• Special Situations – They are another team that looks to score of BLOBS/SLOBS instead of just get the ball in. On SLOBS, look for them to get the ball reversed to Griffin on the block.
• Jordan/Griffin very active and athletic on offensive boards.
• Of course, you know about the lobs ...
DONUT 6: A look at the Clippers Defense:
• Man-to-man with good shot blockers at rim. They get a lot of hustle plays.
• Will show and recover effectively on Mid pick/rolls.
• Hit at the ball hard – Must be strong on drives, they will get their hands down and try get hands on ball.
• A little slow in weak side defense. Weak side flashes, especially low to high when ball on wing can give them some trouble.
DONUT 7: A Clippers Stat Check:
• Clippers are 6th in the league in scoring at a 99.3/gm clip.
• Clippers are 29th in FT% at .667.
• Clippers are 27th in Rebounding at 39.2 rpg.
• Griffin is 7th in scoring at 23.1 ppg.
• Chris Paul 6th in assist at 8.4 apg.
• Jordan 2nd in blocks at 3.1 bpg.
DONUT 8: In addition to watching the game on FSSW, follow the game on Twitter with the Mavs Twitterverse!
Come follow Fish and the Mavs on Twitter!
DONUT 9: It's DB.com Mavs Suite Night … a once-in-a-lifetime event, and DallasBasketball.com is giving you the chance to attend … with a guest … and Premium Parking … with The 75-Member Staff … in a suite!
The game is against Minnesota on Wednesday, Jan. 25. So yes, J.J. Barea will be there to receive his championship ring along with the Mavs. But more importantly to you, YOU can be there, too! A few simple steps:
* Friend the Mavs DB.com Facebook Page
*Be a member of DallasBasketball.com (sign up in the upper-right-hand corner of this page) and poke around DB.com Boards. Membership is free!
* Follow Fish on Twitter!
Once you've hooked up with Mavs information in those three ways, send me an email at Fish@DallasBasketball.com with the subject line, "FISH, I WANT IN ON DB.COM MAVS SUITE NIGHT!'' … and you are registered.
Marcia will draw the winner on Monday, Jan. 23, and we'll announce that name here on DallasBasketball.com. It's you and a guest, with Platinum Parking, in a suite on Ring Ceremony Night … and no purchase is necessary. (Although if you are looking for something sharp to wear, you do know where to look – in the Mavs DB.com Store!
Good luck. … and we'll see you in the suite on DB.com Mavs Suite Night!
DONUT 10: If you like this level of insight into the World Champion Dallas Mavericks, try our Premium Mavs coverage! This is what we do, every day, with 28 years of experience on the beat! It's pennies a day to get All-Access to what the Mavs are doing upstairs, down in the basement, in the locker room and on the court – and it's free to come inside for a 7-day tryout. Now more than ever, there's no reason not to give it a go! Thanks for your support of the site at less than a dime-a-day! Go Mavs and Go Premium!
DONUT 11: Scout Kyle Leath on How to Beat the Clippers:
• DEFENSE – Continue the trend of great team defense. Play some zone and negate their athleticism.
• REBOUND – Although they are an active offensive rebounding team, rebounding, as always, needs to be of special focus.
• Get to their bench. Make their bench make a contribution and have to play minutes. This can be done by attacking the bigs bodies on offense to draw fouls and making them work hard for good shots on offense. And let us repeat: If Paul and Mo Williams do not play, the Clippers only get 12 points per game from available bench players.
DONUT 12: A quick Quotable, and then Bob and Dana and Followill and Harp and I get ready for the 9 p.m. show on FSSW:
"(Offense),'' he said, "hasn't been there all year. But defensively, we're doing our job. We just have to make shots. Stay encouraged; defensively we're playing our ass off. We'll get there.''
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.