|HORNETS 3-12||MAVS 9-7|
|F- Trevor Ariza||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Jason Smith||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- Emeka Okafor||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Marco Belinelli||G- Delonte West|
|G- Jarrett Jack||G- Jason Kidd|
Hornets on Defense:
• They have a legitimate shot-blocker in Okafor and Smith is coming off a three-block game vs. Houston, but lack depth otherwise.
• Are not very good on-ball defenders, especially bench players.
• Give up a lot of drives and do not do a good job of helping. Delonte West in particular can take advantage of this.
Hornets on Offense:
• Jarret Jack is doing a lot of the damage in transition with drags off hi picks and getting in the paint. He is also good at the pick/roll and he makes the pull up jumper. He is creating shots for the other players. They let him dominate the ball and will set a ton of picks for him.
• Belinelli has struggled with his shot but is still a threat for transition threes. And he can make a HORSE shot ...
• Pick/pops are a huge part of the offense and both Chris Kaman and Jason Smith are hitting shots. Smith is tough to get to on defensive rotations.
• They like to post up Kaman, Landry, and Okafor early in possessions. Kaman is effective at facing up to shoot the jumper.
• Weak-side players do a good job of cutting to the basket on post entries.
• Very good offensive rebounding team.
Hornets Stat Check:
• The Hornets strong suit is rebounding where they are 6th in Rebounds/Game at 44.2, 4th in Opp. Rebounds/Game at 40.1 and 2nd in Redound Differential at +4.1.
• The Hornets are 28th in scoring at 86.8/gm.
• The Hornets are 27th in 3pt. FG% at .275.
How to Beat The Hornets:
• Keep them off the offensive glass. See the aforemented stats and how they add up: poor shooting and good rebounding; they must get second chance points to be successful. This is how Okafor and others score. ...
• Bench Play – A nice edge for the Mavericks in most games right now. As in the contest in Dallas (a 96-81 Mavs win), when New Orleans goes to the bench they drop off considerably.
• Attack basket – Not a good defensive team on the perimeter. Put ball on floor instead of settling for jump shots.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games. Again, catch Fish, Dana Larson and Bob Ortegel for the Fox Sports Southwest pregame show at 6:30 before they hand it to Mark Followill and Derek Harper for the play-by-play!