TWolves at Dallas Mavericks, 730 pm at AAC
|TWOLVES 7-10||MAVS 11-7|
|F- Wes Johnson||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Kevin Love||F- Lamar Odom|
|C- Darko Milicic||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Luke Ridnour||G- Delonte West|
|G- Ricky Rubio||G- Jason Kidd|
• They stress Man-to-man.
• Guards do not close the gap a lot of time on perimeter shooters, looking for the drive instead.
• Will show/recover on ball screens. Milicic is slow on his recovery.
• Single the post on the block. Guards will jab down but they do not do much doubling when ball is entered to post.
• Guards can be posted. (Kidd can take advantage.)
• Half-court set is primarily a 1-2-2 set with the post at the elbow and shooters starting in corners
• Will establish strong side and set down screens for weak side wing to come off
• Use post to run mid pick/rolls.
• PG dribble entry to the wing with strong side zipper cut by wing. Good way to get post on block.
• Curl strong side wing back to corner. Try to get him clean or a switch on post.
• Transition is triggered by Rubio. He is not the fastest PG around but a deadly passer. He'll can transform any transition into a break and easy bucket:
• Will run drags and double drags (using one or two post to set mid ball screen) in early offense.
• If you trap the mid pick/roll, the post do a great job of rolling hard to basket and guards do a good job of hitting them.
• Love will always be around for backside rebounds of missed shots, he must be blocked out. An increase in intensity from Lamar Odom would be helpful here.
• Like to clear out into a two-man game with guard and Love posted low.
• Love will pick/pop for 3-point shot. He averages (5) attempts per game and is shooting 36%.
TWolves Stat Check:
• Kevin Love is 5th in Scoring at 24.9/gm, 1st in Double-Doubles with 16 and 2nd in Rebounding at 13.9/gm.
• Ricky Rubio is 6th in Assist at 8.5/gm.
How to Beat the TWolves:
• LOVE – Keep him off glass. If shot goes up he automatically goes to weak side of rim. Know he can step out and shoot it.
• TEAM DEFENSE – Make them score out of a set, not transition or early offense. Use the Mavs team's strength of playing good half-court defense.
• PHYSICAL – Outside of Love not a real physical team, especially on perimeter. Take guards into lane. Love, though, is not just a bull to the weakside of the rim, and not just clever about it, but also has "want-to'':
• DEPTH – Beasley and Barea have been out so bench is a bit thin. This is a constant theme for Dallas: Win the game when the opponent starters are on the bench.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games.