|SUNS 7-12||MAVS 13-8|
|F- Channing Frye||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Grant Hill||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- Marcin Gortat||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Jared Dudley||G- Vince Carter|
|G- Steve Nash||G- Roddy Beaubois|
Suns on Defense:
• Good transition team in getting back, but soft in the post on secondary break.
• Post will show hard on high pick/roll action, especially Gortat.
• You can take their guards into the lane and out-physical them.
• Ball movement is important. Make them play side-to-side. Posts do not do a good job on ball reversal.
Suns on Offense:
• Nash (assuming he plays, as he's nursing a thigh injury) dominates the ball in most possessions. If he is forced to give it up they at times get stagnated.
• Gortat has developed as a scorer with his back to the basket on the block. He's also become a force on the pick/rolls with Nash.
• Favorite set is post at elbows and wings in working b/t FT line extended and baseline. Will run UCLA cut w/post-post cross screen.
• Transition team that will take a lot of shots early in possessions.
Suns Stat Check:
• Suns are 28th in Opp. Rebounding at 45.8 reb/gm.
• Nash is 1st in Assist at 9.9/gm.
• Gortat is tied for 5th in Double-Doubles at 11.
How to Beat The Suns:
• GET BACK- Stop them from running and make them score in half-court. Get the ball out of Nash's hands
• EXECUTE OFFENSE– Run your sets and get good shots. Make them guard deep into the shot clock.
• BENCH – Always a key and a Mavs strength for the most part. With the injuries, it is of even greater importance.
Kyle Leath, a long-time Mavs staffer, former college head coach and now scout for the Denver Nuggets, provides you with an NBA-style scouting report before Mavs games. Again, catch Fish, Dana Larson and Bob Ortegel for the Fox Sports Southwest pregame show at 7:30 before they hand it to Mark Followill and Derek Harper for the play-by-play as Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks take on the Suns!
If you like this level of insight into the World Champion Dallas Mavericks, try our Premium Mavs coverage! This is what we do, every day, with 28 years of experience on the beat! It's pennies a day to get All-Access to what the Mavs are doing upstairs, down in the basement, in the locker room and on the court – and it's free to come inside for a 7-day tryout. Now more than ever, there's no reason not to give it a go! Thanks for your support of the site at less than a dime-a-day! Go Mavs and Go Premium!