DONUT 1: Kidd, Jet, Dirk and Smiles ...
Your Dallas Mavericks did not have Jason Kidd fully participate in Tuesday's workout in preparation for tonight's game in Denver. But my eyeballs and Dirk's smile say he is close.
Kidd's got that strained right calf, and he did not participate at full-speed with the team. But in my judgment, he moved without any noticeable discomfort and shot brilliantly at the end of the workout, hitting 3-point shots from the left wing and corner, in particular, with such accuracy that Dirk Nowitzki watched and was grinning from ear-to-ear.
"Day-to-day," Kidd said of his status.
Jet was in a positive mood regarding Kidd's impending return ... but of course, Jet is always in a positive mood. At the end of practice, he noticed a brown-workshirted figure sitting on the catwalk, scribbling into a notebook.
"Hey, Holger!'' Jet yelled at the older man wearing his familiar brown plaid shirt. "Get down here! What are you waiting for?''
Holger Geschwindner then descended the stairs to put Dirk through his unique paces ... and Jason Terry hung around with them, for a bit, still smiling as he hoped for some rub-off.
DONUT 2: Jet's legacy ...
How will Jason Terry be remembered? How does he want to be remembered? Now that Jet's a top 100 scorer all-time in the NBA, our Kevin Brolan puts together a Premium piece on Jet's legacy ... with exclusive comments from Jet himself! It's terrific stuff from K-Bro and Jet and well worth your pennies!
Oh, and tonight, look closely at Jet. He'll have shaved his "Seahawk'' haircut, he'll be thinking about getting a tattoo to persuade the NBA to let him back in the All-Star Weekend 3-Point Shootout (he's kidding about the tat but not about his candidacy) and he'll be wearing Invisaline Braces ... so, he tells me, with his perfect teeth he can be even more equipped to take my TV job when he retires.
As I told him yesterday, I'd prefer he take my TV job when I retire.
DONUT 3: Let's get to tonight ...
The starting lineups, and NBA scouting info from Kyle Leath ...
|NUGGETS 15-10||MAVS 14-11|
|F- Rudy Fernandez||F- Shawn Marion|
|F- Nene||F- Dirk Nowitzki|
|C- Kosta Koudus||C- Brendan Haywood|
|G- Arron Afflalo||G- Vince Carter|
|G- Ty Lawson||G- Delonte West|
DONUT 4: DB.com cannot do our thing without the help of sponsors and partners ...
Such as MIG and Signs Etc -- now an Official Partner of the Dallas Mavericks! Also a big hello to McKinneyDentist.com and Red Rock Bar & Grill . Give our guys a click, if you please!
Oh, and if you need tickets to the game? MavCowTickets will give you the most personal care in the business!
DONUT 5: A look at the Nuggets Offense:
• Lawson is one of the quickest PGs in league. Wants to push ball whenever he can.
• They run a lot of high/low look even as an early offense with Nene at hi post. He is good at diving to basket when ball enters low or on wing.
• Nuggets like to keep offense set at FT line and above in order to keep floor open for penetration.
• 1-4 High Action –Lots of options. UCLA cut by Lawson into side p/r for wing. Pin down by post on opposite wing for jumper.
• Motion look with wing setting cross screen on post then coming off pin down by opposite post. First option is post on block then wing at FT Line.
• On side p/r action opposite side wing always floats to corner three to kick out on drive.
DONUT 6: A look at the Nuggets Defense:
• Guards defends the ball well. Will hit hard on drives to force turnovers
• Post players do not deny entry pass, playing behind their man, but that makes them good-help side defenders.
• They gamble a lot on point to wing passes, trying to get in passing lanes to get out on break.
• Posts do a lot of dirty work inside. They play physical and go hard after rebounds limiting second-chance opportunities
DONUT 7: A Nuggets Stat Check:
• Nuggets lead league in scoring at 104.0/gm
• Nuggets are 2nd in the league in FG% at 47.8%
• Nuggets are first in the league in team assist at 23.4/gm
• Nuggets are 3rd in the league in team steals at 9.1/gm. Here's one highlight that says so much about the Nuggets: Their knack for steals, their transition game, their passing ability, their ability to finish ...
DONUT 8: In addition to watching the Mavs-at-Nuggets game with Fish, Ortegel, Followill and Harper on FSSW starting at 7:30 p.m, follow the game on Twitter with the Mavs Twitterverse!
DONUT 9: The Mavs Won't Be Players at The Trade Deadline ...
That's the headline the DMNews has slapped atop Sefko's story on how quiet things are -- and in theory will continue to be -- as the March 15 trade deadline approaches. Eddie hustles to get Mavs GM Donnie Nelson to say that the Mavericks "will not jeopardize our flexibility for this summer," a quote of substance in that it is yet another subtle acknowledgement of the "3D Blueprint'' mindset of the organization.
Yes, that's Dwight and Deron and Dirk.
But I would disagree if anyone contends there won't be angles, rumors and stories worth chasing down ... or that the Mavs won't be doing some chasing themselves. There is a difference between "not jeopardizing the 3D Blueprint'' and "not examining trades.''
And one more thing: What if there is a deadline deal to be made that furthers the cause of the 3D Blueprint?
DONUT 10: If you like this level of insight into the World Champion Dallas Mavericks ...
Try our Premium Mavs coverage! This is what we do, every day, with 28 years of experience on the beat! It's pennies a day to get All-Access to what the Mavs are doing upstairs, down in the basement, in the locker room and on the court – and it's free to come inside for a 7-day tryout. Now more than ever, there's no reason not to give it a go! Thanks for your support of the site at less than a dime-a-day! Go Mavs and Go Premium!
DONUT 11: Scout Kyle Leath on How to Beat the Nuggets:
• GET BACK: With the Denver, the first order of the night is always defensive transition
• PROTECT: The ball. If the Mavs' turnovers continue this could be an ugly one on the road
• DEPTH: Both teams have injuries but with Gallanari and Mosgov out and with Brewer doubtful, the Mavs much use their bench effectively.
DONUT 12: The Final Word ...
Marcia wants to take me to see "The Artist.'' You know, the fancy, high-brow art-house film? I agreed when I found out it was a silent movie and therefore less likely to interrupt my in-theater nap.